Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone was able to get anything from a dealer concerning the Firestone Transforce At's wearing out in no time. I am almost to the wear bars all the way around at just over 19k miles, worst tires I have ever had.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Sounds like they are up there w the firestones I had stock. Mine wore fast and had huge bubbles on the sides! Dealership told me to visit a Firestone dealer at 5k miles saying the tires would need to be warrantied through firestone and they had nothing to do with it. Haha

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Oh firestone dealer, a buddy of mine, said they were crap tires and he could get them pro rated, but only the affected ones, which means if I replaced them I’d have to do all 4, so I just waited a couple months till I got my 35s

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
The AT's wear very fast apparently, been lots and lots of similar comment on here.

My original HT's did over 80K on my nearly 100% highway driven truck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ditto. I'm at 25k miles on my 2018 and just yesterday I'm looking at these things in amazement. I rotate every 6-8k miles, depending on how my schedule allows. And before this, I had owned a used 2015 2500. Bought it with 33k miles on it and the original tires were at the wear bars. So I would have to agree that the stock Firestones wear faster than expected.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Ditto. I'm at 25k miles on my 2018 and just yesterday I'm looking at these things in amazement. I rotate every 6-8k miles, depending on how my schedule allows. And before this, I had owned a used 2015 2500. Bought it with 33k miles on it and the original tires were at the wear bars. So I would have to agree that the stock Firestones wear faster than expected.
I'm at 35,000 kms/22,000 miles and I have 4-5/32nds left to the wear bars. I rotate once a year. If we would have done a summer camping trip this year they would already be done - and I would have better tires for this upcoming winter.

·
Cummins Dude
2,767 Posts
OEM tires are made for the new vehicle manufacturer’s specifically for looks and not longevity. They are not the same tires you’ll buy, same brand, from the tire store. Components are different.

Mine wore out prematurely as well. I tried to get warranty on them and couldn’t. I haven’t known anyone who has.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
OEM tires are made for the new vehicle manufacturer’s specifically for looks and not longevity. They are not the same tires you’ll buy, same brand, from the tire store. Components are different.
Where in the world did you hear that???

Just not a possibility, no tire manufacturer would take on the liability for anything like that.

And, as I stated in my above post, my original firestone HT's went over 80K.

As matter of fact, the next set of tires I put on my truck, were some more firestone HT's that were new take-offs from another RAM, and they made it to 80K too.

Now, the firestone AT's do seem to wear out pretty quickly, and that is probably due to a different rubber compound as well as the tread pattern, but they are no different than the same tire you buy at the tire store.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have 33,000 on my original transforce tires with one rotation and they still have plenty of life left in them. Granted they aren't the finest tires but I really don't see why most everyone complains about them.....

·
Registered
235 Posts
My Transforce’s wore out quickly too. Rears were done after a rotation. I think at barely over 20k no tread left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
I have 33,000 on my original transforce tires with one rotation and they still have plenty of life left in them. Granted they aren't the finest tires but I really don't see why most everyone complains about them.....
My Transforce’s wore out quickly too. Rears were done after a rotation. I think at barely over 20k no tread left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AT's or HT's?

·
Cummins Dude
2,767 Posts
Where in the world did you hear that???

Just not a possibility, no tire manufacturer would take on the liability for anything like that.

And, as I stated in my above post, my original firestone HT's went over 80K.

As matter of fact, the next set of tires I put on my truck, were some more firestone HT's that were new take-offs from another RAM, and they made it to 80K too.

Now, the firestone AT's do seem to wear out pretty quickly, and that is probably due to a different rubber compound as well as the tread pattern, but they are no different than the same tire you buy at the tire store.
Ive read it and been told it. And only got 10,500 miles out of my OEM 285/60R20 Firestone Piece of Crap Transforce AT’s as living, down to the wear bars, proof.
I ever said they were made to be dangerous, I said they weren’t made of the same compounds as a tire store tire where they have to provide a wear guarantee.

·
Registered
689 Posts
^^Same here - and it makes sense - Firestone makes the same tire to a certain contracted price point in bulk to the Manufacturer - I'm sure Ram etc bids to the lowest dollar so their corners are not cut in safety but probably in longevity of the tire and which is why many on here reporting very premature wear of the Firestone Transforce *AT* tires - whereas some have said they bought the same set of tires from Discount Tire etc and have gotten 50k+ miles out of them -

I'm at about 6.5k miles now and looks alright for the most part, but I'm always unloaded, I'm curious to see how long I get out of the factory set - on my last rotation I flipped the whitewalls in and made a world of difference for me - when these wear out I'll likely go up to 285/65/20 or 295/60/20, or just the same size 285/60/20 in a better tire - not looking to add much unsprung weight or lose much mpg.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I'm at about 6.5k miles now and looks alright for the most part, but I'm always unloaded, I'm curious to see how long I get out of the factory set.
At that mileage we had one camping trip in and I could see the sipes disappearing on the rear tires.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Must be some hard driving especially if you rears wear out so fast. Due to an accident I had two replaced. But the factory tires went 50K miles, the last 27K miles the rears were never rotated. The front tires that got replaced had 27K miles on them and looked almost new.

As for traction, they are the worst.

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Must be some hard driving especially if you rears wear out so fast. Due to an accident I had two replaced. But the factory tires went 50K miles, the last 27K miles the rears were never rotated. The front tires that got replaced had 27K miles on them and looked almost new.

As for traction, they are the worst.
Probably a little, but the sipes has JUST started disappearing, fronts weren’t far behind. The Rockies, 800 ft lbs and the exhaust brake doesn’t help the rear.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Firestone AT's on my truck must be an anomaly. Have about 22k miles on them and they are about half way. I am predicting 40k miles. I would buy them again for what I paid compared to other tires. These balanced well and they are smooth on the highway. I have Centramatics on my truck and maybe that helps. The company I work for use these tires on 3/4 and 1 ton Ford trucks and they seem to hold up to abuse from the crews. The other day I noticed some of the trucks are starting to run Cooper AT3's. I will keep up with the fleet manager and see how they compare. The tire dealership said the Firestone's were the best bang for the buck for an all around tire.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think your only hope of getting anything from the dealer (besides maybe a "we're sorry" discount on a new set) is if they are completely shot before 12,000 miles and it's covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'm pretty sure OEM tires aren't covered by the same mileage warranty as you'd get if you bought them from a shop.

·
Cummins Dude
2,767 Posts
I think your only hope of getting anything from the dealer (besides maybe a "we're sorry" discount on a new set) is if they are completely shot before 12,000 miles and it's covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I'm pretty sure OEM tires aren't covered by the same mileage warranty as you'd get if you bought them from a shop.
Tires are a consumable. No warranty they told me. I rotated them @ 5,000.

Maybe I just got some bad tires but come on...10,000 miles and shot?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts