Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tac died and the otherday and my 1998 24 valve started to lose power and cut in and out. The check engine light came on and the code was for the crank postion sensor performance. I looked on the forum and the symptoms sounded typical for CPS failure. I took the starter off and started to remove the sensor and as i was starting to twist it back and forth in order to get it out, about half of the sensor broke off and fell into the block. My question is this a BIG problem? Not sure really but will the sensor just end up in the bottom of the oil pan? Any comments, thoughts or concerns greatly appreciated.

thanks

·
Premium Member
25,253 Posts
Moved to the 98.5-02 Powertrain forum for better exposure.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crank Position Sensor TROUBLE

I am Having the typical CPS failure problems(dead tac, cuts in and out, check engine code for CPS performance..). Having never changed one b4 I got on some forums and read about how to do it. As I was twisting it back and forth trying to remove it from the block, about half of it broke off and fell into the engine block!!!.
Is this a BIG PROBLEM??? or will it just end up in the bottom of the oil pan?. Im not real sure what kind of problem,if any, this could pose. Any input or thought is greatly appreciated

1 - 5 of 5 Posts