Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where is the crankcase vent located. got oil around engine and cant find t. ive also heard that there can be a screw in cap in place of it. so where exactly is it? picture would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
is it normal for the crankcase vent to leak a little oil whenever the motor is run over 30min ish. it dosent leak much but does drip a little oil. it has 258k on the ticker. i figured its nothing but my last truck didnt leak a drip unless i went on a long trip. like interstate driving. so i was just wondering.
thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i understand, its very normal to leak a little. there are many methods to filter this before it get all over your truck but is normal.

and i dont remember seeing a drai like that but ill check when theres light. i wonder if i have a plug. where does the top of the tube connect? thanks for help and pic

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have no tube coming down. there is a hex plug located directly behind the fuel pump in the middle. its about 1/2". do i not have a breather and do i need one?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
The tube is only a hose with a chinsy clamp that probably just fell off. If its gone then there will still be a little metal line back behind the injection pump pretty close to the fire wall that is part of the tappet cover. You need the vent to function as it lets internal gas preasure that gets past the rings to vent out to keep the motor from building presure internally and blowing a seal. Presure build up would also increase pumping losses in efficiency which would be lost HP and MPG so plugging it is a bad idea. The vent also lets any condensation (water) in the oil vent to the atmosphere as it turns to steam. Try looking from the drivers side from under the door forward and you will probably see it hiding next to the starter. It shouldnt hurt anything if the tube is missing other than the oil residue will get on the motor/firewall instead of condensing and dripping on the ground. Later model 24v had a catch bottle to keep it off the driveway.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ya man. its up there. its hard to get to but its up there. my hose to locate the breather further down disappered also. the hose just gets dryrotted overtime and comes loose and falls off. i just dug through garage and found some clear reinforced hose. stuck it up there and used hose clamp to hold it on. then just cut it to lenght where i liked it. you can get that hose from any home depot or lowes. its like spa flex hose thats like reinfocred with the string stuff in it

·
Registered
170 Posts
The tube is only a hose with a chinsy clamp that probably just fell off.
I never knew how to spell chinsy before :confused013: didn't know if there was an "e", anyway, thank you :hehe:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I never knew how to spell chinsy before :confused013: didn't know if there was an "e", anyway, thank you :hehe:
Haha! Sorry but ya must be confused with that overseas stuff- you know- that chinesy stuff! :)

Reactions: SFGiants
1 - 9 of 9 Posts