Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 has 145,000 miles. I just acquired it in December at 140,000.
I have changed-
1. Both fuel filters.
2. Oil & filter (twice now...)
3. Air filter.
4. Cleaned in cab filter.
5. Lubed U-Joint on transfer case.
6. Changed crankcase filter.

The crankcase filter felt at least 3 or 4 pounds heavier than the new one. Must be a lot of oil / gunk in there.

Anyone else had / noticed this - or was my CC filter possibly factory?

(I will soon change the transfer case oil and both axle differential oils.)

·
Gearhead
55 Posts
Yep just did mine last week if felt heavy also, Been doing all the neglected maintenance the original did not do also, Like a lot of 5 year old vehicles i have purchased original owner buys new and after 5 years pays it off,, does Nothing but drive the piss out of it and trades it in for another new one and does it again. I have done Upper-Lower Moog balljoints-New U-jonts-New front Axel U-joints Checked Drag link recall (has old style link not applicable) -Fuel filters-Nox sensor-Brakes-Clean EGR and Replace Grid Heater . Recommend cleaning inspecting Grid heater is a priority. Waiting for warmer weather to replace F&R Diff fluid and Transfer case ATF fluid

·
Go Packers
5,363 Posts

·
On call 24/7
12,346 Posts

·
Gearhead
55 Posts
I forgot to mention that the transmission filters and fluid are next - before the transfer case and diffs!
Forgot that was the first thing i did also , @ 127K miles the pan had never been off , Truck was never used to tow (buying point for me ) It had only factory silicone no gasket , and the spin on filter was maga tight had to use a tool to get off. Plastic threads are fragile dont over tighten , I used Blue Loctight for flat pan filter bolt also . Got my filters at Napa.I used the gasket supplied , made sure torque was to spec . And dont forget one bottle of Hair shampoo :grin2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^ Just a FYI, use only genuine Mopar transmission filters when you drop the pan, there are two filters. Use ATF+4 fluid.

You might find this useful. Tons of info & lots of pics.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/07-5-09-3rd-gen-6-7l-powertrain/373418-68rfe-transmission-filters-fluid-change.html
I have ordered the filters from Genos!
Thanks for the link!

A lot of us gut ccv filters, cap the intake nipple at the turbo and run a breather hose to the ground.
Order one of these before you change transmission filters
https://revmaxconverters.com/product/68rfe-transmission-spin-on-filter-screw-steel-upgrade/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA4sjyBRC5ARIsAEHsELGZ2jeIpnGhVj1QCYg6sZ6vBddT4_jKQn15y8AUxNs7MC81GSwGI9waAnj7EALw_wcB
Is there a video on the CC bypass?
Does the plastic threads just unscrew from the round trans filter?

Forgot that was the first thing i did also , @ 127K miles the pan had never been off , Truck was never used to tow (buying point for me ) It had only factory silicone no gasket , and the spin on filter was maga tight had to use a tool to get off. Plastic threads are fragile dont over tighten , I used Blue Loctight for flat pan filter bolt also . Got my filters at Napa.I used the gasket supplied , made sure torque was to spec . And dont forget one bottle of Hair shampoo :grin2:
Thanx! Most def on the shampoo! LOL

·
Gearhead
55 Posts
Audio , Your 2012 has a recommended Grid Heater clean @ 67K miles ,Your not a DEF motor and the EGR system was more aggressive, pull your intake horn vacuum and clean your Grid and EGR valve.. also wiggle the Positive battery cable on your Grid heater make sure it has no play whatsoever.

·
Go Packers
5,363 Posts
67,500 Miles (108,000 km) or 54 Months Maintenance Service
Schedule
❏ When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be
changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles
(12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and
engine oil filter.
❏ Check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank, refill if necessary (Chassis Cab Only).
❏ Rotate tires.
❏ Inspect drive belt, replace as necessary.
❏ Lubricate front drive shaft fitting (4x4).
❏ Lubricate outer tie rod ends.
❏ Inspect brake linings.
❏ Inspect and adjust parking brake if necessary.
❏ Replace Crankcase Ventilation Filter (CCV).
Clean EGR Valve (Ram Truck Only)**.
❏ Clean EGR Cooler (Ram Truck Only)**.

@gearheadgregg Probably a good idea to clean the grid heater. Where is it listed? I could not find it on the 60,000 mile or the 67,500 service guide.

·
Gearhead
55 Posts
67,500 Miles (108,000 km) or 54 Months Maintenance Service
Schedule
❏ When prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System, the engine oil and filter must be
changed. If not prompted by the Engine Oil Indicator System within 7,500 miles
(12 000 km) or six months since the last oil and filter change, change the engine oil and
engine oil filter.
❏ Check the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) tank, refill if necessary (Chassis Cab Only).
❏ Rotate tires.
❏ Inspect drive belt, replace as necessary.
❏ Lubricate front drive shaft fitting (4x4).
❏ Lubricate outer tie rod ends.
❏ Inspect brake linings.
❏ Inspect and adjust parking brake if necessary.
❏ Replace Crankcase Ventilation Filter (CCV).
Clean EGR Valve (Ram Truck Only)**.
❏ Clean EGR Cooler (Ram Truck Only)**.

@gearheadgregg Probably a good idea to clean the grid heater. Where is it listed? I could not find it on the 60,000 mile or the 67,500 service guide.
My bad is mistook the Cooler clean for Grid. FYI not trying to be a smart a$$. @ 127 on mine with the SCR system it was still in need of cleaning. The 2012 would be running the EGR much more. I looked for more info about it so it must be in that same chapter missing warning me that my new 2009 6.7 will go into full Regen at 60 mph in the fast lane and loose all power adjust headrest for rear impact lol . any way here is what you could find > https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2523679-wow-thats-why-you-need-delete-your-truck.html

·
Go Packers
5,363 Posts
My bad is mistook the Cooler clean for Grid. FYI not trying to be a smart a$$. @ 127 on mine with the SCR system it was still in need of cleaning. The 2012 would be running the EGR much more. I looked for more info about it so it must be in that same chapter missing warning me that my new 2009 6.7 will go into full Regen at 60 mph in the fast lane and loose all power adjust headrest for rear impact lol . any way here is what you could find > https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2523679-wow-thats-why-you-need-delete-your-truck.html
I did not take it as you being smart:thumbup:. I wanted to make sure I didn't miss something. Between my bifocals and part-time-ol'heimers, stranger things have happened:doh:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts