Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
working on my buddies 12v we changed the pushrod cover. after repair we bleed the fuel system and truck ran fine for about 3 blocks. then truck puffed out a clod of white smoke and wont start. lift pumpo has 18 psi of fuel pressure. have tried bleeding the system at injection pump and all injectors. have fuel at injectors and truck cranks good just wont start. any idea im stumped. also checked fuel shut down lever and it is working properly

· Registered
1,221 Posts
Timing not correct, probably.

Edit to add: Was the injection pump nut tightened correctly?

· Registered
48 Posts
Pressure at the pump should be at or around 45 psi if im correct?

· Registered
18,227 Posts
Pressure at the pump should be at or around 45 psi if im correct?
You are not correct.

OP, your timing gear has slipped. Reset the timing, then clean, clean, clean the IP shaft. Prior to torquing it to 140 ft lbs, clean it again. I use spray electrical cleaner.

· Registered
22 Posts
Id start at the timing aswell easly could have sliped if not installed correctly. Pump shaft and gear taper needs to be clean, using carb clean will help. Then torqued to 165 lbs

· Registered
18,227 Posts
......using carb clean will help. Then torqued to 165 lbs
Carb cleaner doesn't completely evaporate and leaves a residue. Which tech manual shows 165 ft lbs of torque? Way too much.

· Registered
22 Posts
I use a rag as well but you could use break clean or what ever you want, the point is to get it clean. What tech manual tells you to turn up you're fuel? I do what works for me, 155 to 165lbft is what I run mine down to and have had no truble
Carb cleaner doesn't completely evaporate and leaves a residue. Which tech manual shows 165 ft lbs of torque? Way too much.

· Registered
18,227 Posts
What tech manual tells you to turn up you're fuel? I do what works for me, 155 to 165lbft is what I run mine down to and have had no truble.
Severely overtorquing a nut isn't a good comparison to increasing HP.:banghead: Try to think of a valid reason.

· Registered
18,227 Posts
Correction, the correct torque is 144 ft/lb.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.