Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, so ive read and researched this thing intensively for several days yet to find a solution.
Back ground.. 2018 ram 3500 dually, 320k miles. Fully deleted at 200k with mild tune. Brought in the shop to pull head, throw in some new studs, all new gaskets, tap new exhaust manifold bolt holes, new manifold from the other one shrinking, new fuel filters, replaced serpentine belt and some other small PM upkeep.

Prior to doing this work, my serpentine belt had started shredding on me, but did not break. however, it had broken the tip off of the crank position sensor, causing a p0335 code and the service electronic throttle control, as to be expected. it caused a pretty rough start for the truck but it always started and ran just fine when it was running. so after all the work i did replacing parts, i am having one hell of a time getting this thing to fire off and run now.

It cranks, intermittently sounds like it might take off, then doesnt and just acts like its not getting fuel. I do not have a way to test rail pressure, but i have bled this fuel system of all air and I am getting fuel at all locations. I can hear the pump actuate when key is turned on to prime the fuel system, however, all the fuel pressure comes when i am cranking to start, which requires what I hear around 4k psi.

I have torn the top end apart twice to double check all torque specs on the injectors, to check the injector wiring harnesses, to double check the feed tubes and the torque settings on the feed tubes, checked all my connections and plug ins, checked timing and valve lash, tested electrical for the new crank sensor. I have even tried some shots of ether to just get it up and rpms moving hoping to build fuel and oil pressure to keep it going to no avail.

Any better ideas would be great.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went through again last night, tore down whole top end. Removed rockers, entire injection system, connector tube, fuel rail, all sensors and lines on pump and to rail and head. cleaned all parts thoroughly, then started the installation and torque process very closely once again just to ensure no issues there. Cleaned all connectors and plug ins again, fastened truck back up, checked fluids.. still crank no start. Batteries are good and full. plenty of fuel. should be no air in the lines at this point.

At a loss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I would think the next step is to find a way to monitor rail pressure so that you can figure out if your IP has failed on you. I think I remember reading that the ECM has to see 4k rail pressure before it will crank. If you're getting good rail pressure then it could possibly be something as simple as a bad rail pressure sensor not getting the rail pressure back to the ECM. Sounds like the only things that haven't been checked, fuel-wise, are between the IP and the injectors. Do you have any other codes besides the p0335 and have you cleared the p0335?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, i do know it requires roughly 4k psi to crank over. I unfortunately dont have a way to monitor fuel rail pressure. I can confirm getting fuel, just not how much. Ill look into getting a pressure gague. I have ohmed all injectors but havent done stress or bench test on them. they were torn apart and cleaned fairly extensively and all were running well prior to doing these repairs and maint. I have gotten a p008A and p0087 low fuel rail pressure before. Its not throwing them at the moment but I have gotten them, before I put a rail plug in for the relief valve. Havent had that issue since.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.