Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had another cumminsforum member (csavard) ask me how I did my re-route for the crank vent. I did this because I was sick of the crude/residue that it was spitting into my turbo. The last time I took my intake off I felt inside the hole on the interior of the intake and got oil on my finger. I do NOT want this going into my turbo. Here is what I did to fix it. Pretty simple.

1. Take off the clamp holding the vent hose onto the nipple on the intake tube.

2. Take a 3/4" PVC Plug (rated for heat) and insert into nipple to block it off. I had to pount mine pretty hard with a hammer. Either grind it down or try a 1/2" plug if you dont want to beat it into the hole.

3. Hose clamp the plug into place just in case.

4. Take the crank case vent hose and connect a bottle to it. I just found a plastic bottle in my shop that fit inisde the hose. Then hose clamp the bottle to the hose.

5. Mount the bottle where ever you want that is out of the way.

6. Drill a bunch of vent holes on the top side of the bottle to vent out the air/gasses that come through the vent. All the fluids will go to the bottle of the bottle.

You will be amazed at how much crap that accumulates in the bottle. This is more of a "ease of mind" thing to do. I just got a new turbo before I did this re route and didnt want to have to go to the dealer again.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for not getting this thread up like I said I would last night csavard. Had a tornado come within a mile of our house yesterday. Little precoccupied LOL.

Also sorry for the dirty engine and engine compartment. I have been wanting to hose it down for a while now.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In that last photo you can see how much crap comes through those vents. That is only two weeks worth of build up. Just one more great idea they had for these motors :(. I also truely believe that this is aided my first turbo going out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Awsome info! Thanks! I am waiting on a new turbo now. As soon as it comes in, I am ditching the DPF, EGR, and now the Crank Vent! Thanks Agian

·
Registered
473 Posts
What was wrong with your turbo?
I keep getting the code to see dealer for no turbo boost. I refuse to go to the dealer for any reflashes or new turbo etc. I check the end play on my turbo every oil change and I always run my exhaust brake in tow/haul mode. I think it is more of a computer glitch saying turbo problems. Was just wondering if you actually had mechanical problems with the turbo, or was it just replaced becuase the morons at the dealer said to. Thanks!
Garry

·
Banned
885 Posts
EGR and venting the crankcase thru the turbo...eventually will cause problems...

Did you try a simple breather filter in line DG or did you 1st go to the bottle style?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garry, I had the P2262 code as well. I got it at 7,500 miles and ignored it as there is no drivability (mechanical) issues with that code. After 5,000 miles the computer gave up on telling me about the code. At 45,000 miles I decided that I was going all out on the mods with my truck. I had that code and a cracked DPF delete. If the dealer was dumb enough to replace them both then I figured why not. Sure enough they replaced both on warranty. So now I have a new turbo to play with and a brand new DPF if I ever have to replace or sell it. I did it more for myself than anything.

Super, I went straight to the bottle because I knew it was spitting fluids pretty regularly plus I wanted to see how much build up I could get. Also on my 01 it had a little bottle style catch.

You can mount the bottle a lot better than I did. It just happens to fit right there without making a bracket or anything. Not the cleanest set up but I dont have those crank fumes and fluids in my intake and turbo any more.

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Have a question if you only do the crank case vent will that hurt anything ? I have a 08 with 20,000 miles so far and no problem's .

Val

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No it wont do anything or hurt anything that I am aware of. Its just a hose to vent the motor and they figured they might was well just put it back into the motor I guess. Its easy and really cheap. Like $2 cheap.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
A bunch of my buddies have little turbo charged imports and they were talking about OIL CATCH CANS. Check this website I ordered one for my truck The Old One - Energy Dynamics .. then go to componets and then to breather kits

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
My new truck is the first diesel (out of 15) that I have owned in which the crank case gases are vented back into the intake tract. All of my other vehicles had a dump tube straight to the atmosphere. When the engines were in good shape there was hardly any blowby. Some of them would smoke a bit till they got to opperating temperature. During normal opperation there will be a small percentage of liquids in this mix but they will be in a gaseous form. When you put a catch can on you are effectively putting on a condensor that cools the gases till they go back to liquid form. What I am saying is that under normal opperation the "smoke" from the crankcase will not be in a liquid form and the engine will easily digest it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
i have a endyn one on my car, you can get them from jegs cheaper

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
i have a endyn one on my car, you can get them from jegs cheaper
I tried to find it at Jegs no luck.

Could you post a link?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I am surprized your 6.7 has this much blow to it dude... I rerouted mine a couple of different ways, but for a while I had mine open ended and dumped on top of the downpipe to let the heat on it just burn the blow and liquid off...

It worked good enough but mine doesn't have that much blow as I see you with... I like a pulled draw on the crankcase hose to help pull the blow, then just burn it in the downpipe... I do agree with all here though, this blow doesn't need to impact the freakin' VGT impeller blades while its screamin'!!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
the old links dont work but search under catch can

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Got my new AFE Mega Cannon and it has a plug for the 5.9L, so I'm going to plug the hole and just let her dump out. I don't have to worry about a drive way to stain up. Might tape a white rag to the hose just to see how much it's blowing out - assuming the bottle is acting more like a condensor...

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Can that line befabricated to route into the exhaust at an angle to put a draw or pull a vacuum like they do on race cars? they now put vacuum pumps on race cars because it shows 20 horse increase scavenging the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
I could have sworn that someone on here that had it going into the exhaust. Jeb_H maybe?

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
Jeb did. I am thinking though he changed it again. There is a whole thread about it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts