Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

crank case breather causeing smoke

650 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  smokey59
when i'm idling i get a very faint amoun of smoke comming the under the hood. i'ts done this since i bought the truck. abotu a year ago.

but the other day i popped the hood and say that my shroud and new fan was covered in oil. and the rad was soacked as well. but woudl this cause smoke?

eitherway i'm re routing the vent and cleanign everything out.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
My buddy had the same problem too! Our diesel pro told us it was a busted ring! We tore into it and sure enough it was!

· Registered
1,561 Posts
a little smoke is normal, very faint! relocate that hose end and be prepared to pull the radiator before too long to clean the fins. you can't see the crap, but if the fan and shroud have a film of oil then it's in the fins, too!

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
busted ring?????

any other symptoms to look for?

· Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a little smoke is normal, very faint! relocate that hose end and be prepared to pull the radiator before too long to clean the fins. you can't see the crap, but if the fan and shroud have a film of oil then it's in the fins, too!
it is REALY faint.

sometimes you can't see it at all.

· Registered
25 Posts
I'm not too sure bout any other symptoms of a busted ring cause it wasnt my truck that it happened to!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.