Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, replaced my injectors, replaced tubes and now I have a no start/won’t fire condition!

installed reman, DAP 7X0.009 VCO injectors, lift pump is stock but it does work properly!
bled the system with multiple key bumps, cracking 1,3 and 5 high pressure lines at the tubes. Have a nice puddle of fuel on the floor!
my question is now about my VP44– I thinks is so weak it’s not building the pressure to pop the injectors?
Getting fuel but it’s not spraying out, it’s more like a small spurt( according to the girlfriend).

been cranking as the batteries charge back up and day 2 still no start, any help would be much appreciate.

would a small snot of ether possibly help me get it rolling again?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I've never been a fan of using ether. That doesn't mean it might not help, just my opinion. Exactly how much cranking of the engine has happened? What is the state of the batteries? Any codes? About how many miles are on your current injection pump? I can't strongly enough recommend you get a fuel pressure gauge. Even a simple inline mechanical fuel pressure gauge would be helpful in this situation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not trying ether, don’t want it to be an ether baby!
batteries are good but charging now, drained them hard, as for cranking I did probably around 30 to 40 key bump with hp lines cracked, once I had fuel I kept going for at least another 10 bumps, then went to several( guess 10) 25 second cranks, didn’t even try to fire off. No smell of raw fuel in the exhaust pipe!
guessing it’s the original VP, 242k plus a bit. Got a new one coming from DAP, be here tomorrow with a puller.

pressure gage will have to be done after I can save up some coin! Blew my whole wad and then some on the latest items!

thanks for the reply 2002CTD!,

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
My pleasure! If you have a new VP44 coming, I think I would just hold off on further troubleshooting until you get the new pump in. I've seen a few cases recently where needing to bleed the fuel system, either because of an upgrade or another issue, caused a worn injection pump to fail. The pump worked before bleeding the fuel system, now it doesn't. Frustrating to troubleshoot. Let us know if the new pump solves the issue!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bet on the update once it gets here and I get it installed!! Had to order the tool as well as I do t have any diesel tools of that nature.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you need any references for the procedure, check the VP44 Replacement link in my signature.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Up and running with a new VP44, solved the issue of no start! old pump was so weak it couldn’t pop off the new sticks. Running strong now😎.

slight lope at idle, need to reset the apps I’m betting.

next up will be the WT ground mod and apps set/adjust.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I've never been a fan of using ether. That doesn't mean it might not help, just my opinion. Exactly how much cranking of the engine has happened? What is the state of the batteries? Any codes? About how many miles are on your current injection pump? I can't strongly enough recommend you get a fuel pressure gauge. Even a simple inline mechanical fuel pressure gauge would be helpful in this situation.
WD40 works in pinch instead of either and won't hurt anything.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Up and running with a new VP44, solved the issue of no start! old pump was so weak it couldn’t pop off the new sticks. Running strong now😎.

slight lope at idle, need to reset the apps I’m betting.

next up will be the WT ground mod and apps set/adjust.
Glad you got it fixed!

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Why have you not pulled and posted codes before ordering a thousand dollar VP44? Could be a crank sensor for 50 bucks or an ECM for few hundred.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why have you not pulled and posted codes before ordering a thousand dollar VP44? Could be a crank sensor for 50 bucks or an ECM for few hundred.
The only codes I had were the companion code and 036(SRS drivers circuit open)

The original 240K VP wasn't pushing enough pressure to run the new injectors. 5 Key bumps and 3 starter runs for 25 seconds and it started like a champ with the new VP installed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts