Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start off by apologizing for such a long post.
Secondly, this is for an RV Cummins issue. Hopefully it is okay to post this here.

I have a 2005 RV with a Freightliner XC chassis. The VIN is 4UZAAHBV15CU53196.
It has a Cummins 5.9l ISB-300. The ESN is 57274714. The Service Model Name is ISB CM850. The Engine Dataplate states that the Build Date was October 14, 2004.
The Cummins has a Bosch 0445020015 CP3 / Common Rail fuel injection pump.
This RV has 66,789.2 miles on it.
I have an in-dash “Medallion Information Center” that is capable of providing trip information as well as engine diagnostics and service information.
The information center displays the following for the engine.
BUILD INFO
8000-00504-01
Version 4.3
14:43:57
09/30/04

Awhile ago, my check engine light came on and I was able to get the fault codes from the “Medallion Information Center”. I searched for the codes on the internet with no luck. So, I decided to send the faults codes to Cummins and Freightliner to find out what they were for. Both Cummins and Freightliner said that the fault codes did not exist.
My brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic that works on Cummins for his employers fleet trucks. He checked everything out as far as symptoms go, and everything performed fine.
On my last trip, when going down the ramp to merge onto the interstate, it seemed to have what appeared to be a slight engine miss. This happened at on two different occasions, both entering the interstate. It ran fine once up to speed. I didn’t notice anything traveling on a two way highway.
The other day I had driven the RV and parked it in my pole building. I went out about a month later to go top off the fuel tank. I turned the key on and waited on the “Wait to Start” light. When it shut off I cranked the engine over and it fired up. It cranked over normally, but it only ran for about 5 seconds and shutoff. I tried starting it again with no luck. It cranks over fine, but it just won’t fire.
I replaced the cranking batteries those having 1000CCA. Still no start.
The lift/transfer pump seems to run okay. However, when I turn the key on (without cranking), it will run for about 60 seconds before shuts off. I pulled the fuel supply line from the CP3 pump and measured the fuel output for 60 seconds. I got roughly 96 ounces in 60 seconds. That equates to about 498 milliliters in 10 seconds.
My next step is to measure the rail pressure. I have a fitting coming in soon.
I have new faults codes showing up now. There are a total of six and all are related to the variable geometry turbo.
They are as follows:
FAULT #1
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
DATA VALID BUT BELOW NORMAL RNG
FMI 18 OC 1
FAULT #2
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
FMI 18 OC 11
FAULT #3
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
OUT OF CALIBRATION
FMI 13 OC 127
FAULT #4
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
FMI 1 OC 8
FAULT #5
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
MECH SYSTEM NOT RESP PROPERLY
FMI 7 OC 2

I’m not sure now if there is something wrong with the turbo, the ECM, or a fuel pressure issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Vendor
14,946 Posts
Welcome to CF.
A well put together post.
Do you have a way of seeing the rail psi?
Knowing LP psi is a plus.

Others with more knowledge will be around over time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments.
There wasn't any unusual smoke before the no start.
I will check the air intake. Thanks for the suggestion.
I should have added that the fault codes that I shared in my original post, were not displayed when the "No start" issue first occurred. They showed up after test cranking a few times during the troubleshooting process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few more things I should have had in my original post.

When I first started troubleshooting the issues, I checked the Fleetguard FS19596 Fuel/Water separator for fuel. I opened the drain and nothing came out.
While researching the problem, I learned of the Racor In-line Filter 025-RAC-10A and replaced it.
I then replaced the Fleetguard FS19596 Fuel/Water separator, even though it was fairly new.
I cycled the key a few times to pump fuel through the lift pump.
I checked the drain on the new Fuel/Water separator and I had fuel this time.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Like rghavana said check the air intake for signs of rodents, kinda bad if they built a nest in there and you sucked them into your engine, If it's clean. I would disable the grid heater and give it a small shot of either, if it starts and runs I would suspect injectors. If not maybe CP3 gave up.

Reactions: tryNto

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Check and search the RV site forums. Lots of complaints problems failures of the Medallion and the J1587 and J1939 data buss systems causing motor run problems. Big rig Cummins shop should be able to access the data buss and display the error codes. Looks like FL gave up on the mess and came up with a new display system.
Some RV owners even buy aftermarket software to access engine ECU data bus so they're not so trapped on the road.
one source.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
A few more things I should have had in my original post.

When I first started troubleshooting the issues, I checked the Fleetguard FS19596 Fuel/Water separator for fuel. I opened the drain and nothing came out.
While researching the problem, I learned of the Racor In-line Filter 025-RAC-10A and replaced it.
I then replaced the Fleetguard FS19596 Fuel/Water separator, even though it was fairly new.
I cycled the key a few times to pump fuel through the lift pump.
I checked the drain on the new Fuel/Water separator and I had fuel this time.

Diesel needs air, fuel and compression to fire.
Good air intake then check fuel issue
If you had a clogged filter check fuel tank for contaminants?
If fuel quality was good, and no fuel came out should test lift supply pump with gauge +9 psi or field test put discharge in gallon container should get quart in about 10 seconds .
If thats good check oil for fuel?
If good fuel supply to Cp3 pump, need to monitor rail pressure when cranking, needs 3-4k to run, then briefly remove FCA/Mprop connector should max rail pressure if not suspect injectors/CP3, would really need to perform return test to rule out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late response. Been having a few medical issues. Finally getting back to this. I checked the air intake and it is open and clean. Getting with my brother-in-law, the diesel mechanic to check the rail pressure here soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diesel needs air, fuel and compression to fire.
Good air intake then check fuel issue
If you had a clogged filter check fuel tank for contaminants?
If fuel quality was good, and no fuel came out should test lift supply pump with gauge +9 psi or field test put discharge in gallon container should get quart in about 10 seconds .
If thats good check oil for fuel?
If good fuel supply to Cp3 pump, need to monitor rail pressure when cranking, needs 3-4k to run, then briefly remove FCA/Mprop connector should max rail pressure if not suspect injectors/CP3, would really need to perform return test to rule out.
Thanks for all the info!!
When I did the discharge test I got roughly 96 ounces in 60 seconds. So this is only half of what you stated. I will see if we can check the pressure on the lift pump when we check the rail pressure here in the next few days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the field technician at Cummins Bridgeway the other day. He suggested bleeding the fuel system.
So, I finally got back out to my RV today and tried removing the fuel lines at the head to see if I had an air pocket causing the "No Start" issue.

I was only able to remove the number three and number six fuel line. I was able to pull the number 6 fuel line away from the head about a 1/4 of an inch.

I cranked the engine over three different times for 10 seconds each time. I had no fuel at all come out of the tubes. I figured that amount of time would be sufficient to pump fuel out if there was an air pocket. I wasn't sure if this was correct or not.

I plan to unplug the fuel control actuator next to see if I get any fuel at the head.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
HPCR self bleeds should not open lines to atmosphere, could introduces moisture and contaminants into fuel injectors, we are talking less then 2 micron clearances, or into your body which can be dangerous!!!
If good supply to CP3 need to test CP3, easiest is reading rail pressure with onboard sensor HPCR has to have, just need to get access to data for your particular platform. HD scanner ie Cummins insite compatible.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
3000++ psi shot of diesel into a finger or hand, guaranteed amputation, gangrene and sepsis
Not your old mechanical pump system.
Make absolutely sure you have positive fuel pressure at the INPUT to the CP3 or it will not start, especially with the long fuel line on buses.
That 9 psi at cranking, idle or WOT?
Really want 10 psi minimum idling and 5 psi WOT on a hard mountain pass pull with full load all tanks.
What type of lift transfer pump on the RV?

Insert a thin prob into the injector wiring harness plugs on the valve cover side looking for injector voltage pulses with a DVM. No voltage pulses while cranking, engine computer ECU not allowing injector circuits in ECU to fire injectors which are pulse voltage/current fired solenoids on top of the injectors.
Causes low rail psi caused by leaking injectors, leaking rail pressure relief valve, defective rail pressure sensor, etc

Pull the electrical plug on the FCA fuel control actuator located on the back side of the CP3. Will raise start fuel pressure to MAX, 26,000 psi. If motor starts, will hammer like crazy at this high pressure, shut off quickly. Tells you CP3 and FCA are working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
3000++ psi shot of diesel into a finger or hand, guaranteed amputation, gangrene and sepsis
Not your old mechanical pump system.
Make absolutely sure you have positive fuel pressure at the INPUT to the CP3 or it will not start, especially with the long fuel line on buses.
That 9 psi at cranking, idle or WOT?
Really want 10 psi minimum idling and 5 psi WOT on a hard mountain pass pull with full load all tanks.
What type of lift transfer pump on the RV?

Insert a thin prob into the injector wiring harness plugs on the valve cover side looking for injector voltage pulses with a DVM. No voltage pulses while cranking, engine computer ECU not allowing injector circuits in ECU to fire injectors which are pulse voltage/current fired solenoids on top of the injectors.
Causes low rail psi caused by leaking injectors, leaking rail pressure relief valve, defective rail pressure sensor, etc

Pull the electrical plug on the FCA fuel control actuator located on the back side of the CP3. Will raise start fuel pressure to MAX, 26,000 psi. If motor starts, will hammer like crazy at this high pressure, shut off quickly. Tells you CP3 and FCA are working.
Thanks for the info!

The 9 psi is key on only.

RV has the Cummins 3968187 transfer pump. I think the replacement pump is the Cummins 5260632.

I am going to connect a test pressure gauge where the in-dash fuel pressure gauge sensor is, and get a more accurate reading.

Do you know what the voltage is, that I should get with the injector voltage pulses?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I finally got a mechanic out to connect a scanner to it. His scanner was limited as to what it could check. He did say that there wasn't any oil pressure when cranking.

Can a bad oil pressure sensor cause a 2004 Cummins 5.9l common rail not to start?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I don’t know if the ECM logic requires oil pressure to fire. My guess is no. Regardless, you should have fuel going to the rail while cranking regardless of firing. The previous issues of having issues accelerating to highway speed but fine once at cruising speed lead me to believe you have some rendition of fuel supply issue.

First problem to solve is getting fuel at the rail. Sounds like the CP3 isn’t getting fed to me. Get the low pressure feed gauge back on there and measure while cranking. If you have positive pressure, than it’s an FCA, CP3, or FCA signal issue (far more rare).

Once you get it to idle, monitoring rail pressure while accelerating would be a huge help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I want to start off by apologizing for such a long post.
Secondly, this is for an RV Cummins issue. Hopefully it is okay to post this here.

I have a 2005 RV with a Freightliner XC chassis. The VIN is 4UZAAHBV15CU53196.
It has a Cummins 5.9l ISB-300. The ESN is 57274714. The Service Model Name is ISB CM850. The Engine Dataplate states that the Build Date was October 14, 2004.
The Cummins has a Bosch 0445020015 CP3 / Common Rail fuel injection pump.
This RV has 66,789.2 miles on it.
I have an in-dash “Medallion Information Center” that is capable of providing trip information as well as engine diagnostics and service information.
The information center displays the following for the engine.
BUILD INFO
8000-00504-01
Version 4.3
14:43:57
09/30/04

Awhile ago, my check engine light came on and I was able to get the fault codes from the “Medallion Information Center”. I searched for the codes on the internet with no luck. So, I decided to send the faults codes to Cummins and Freightliner to find out what they were for. Both Cummins and Freightliner said that the fault codes did not exist.
My brother-in-law is a diesel mechanic that works on Cummins for his employers fleet trucks. He checked everything out as far as symptoms go, and everything performed fine.
On my last trip, when going down the ramp to merge onto the interstate, it seemed to have what appeared to be a slight engine miss. This happened at on two different occasions, both entering the interstate. It ran fine once up to speed. I didn’t notice anything traveling on a two way highway.
The other day I had driven the RV and parked it in my pole building. I went out about a month later to go top off the fuel tank. I turned the key on and waited on the “Wait to Start” light. When it shut off I cranked the engine over and it fired up. It cranked over normally, but it only ran for about 5 seconds and shutoff. I tried starting it again with no luck. It cranks over fine, but it just won’t fire.
I replaced the cranking batteries those having 1000CCA. Still no start.
The lift/transfer pump seems to run okay. However, when I turn the key on (without cranking), it will run for about 60 seconds before shuts off. I pulled the fuel supply line from the CP3 pump and measured the fuel output for 60 seconds. I got roughly 96 ounces in 60 seconds. That equates to about 498 milliliters in 10 seconds.
My next step is to measure the rail pressure. I have a fitting coming in soon.
I have new faults codes showing up now. There are a total of six and all are related to the variable geometry turbo.
They are as follows:
FAULT #1
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
FMI 18 OC 1
FAULT #2
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
FMI 18 OC 11
FAULT #3
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
OUT OF CALIBRATION
FMI 13 OC 127
FAULT #4
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
FMI 1 OC 8
FAULT #5
VAR GEO TURBO 1
SPN 641 CM 0
MECH SYSTEM NOT RESP PROPERLY
FMI 7 OC 2

I’m not sure now if there is something wrong with the turbo, the ECM, or a fuel pressure issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I have had several medical issues for quite some time.

So, I am late in closing this out. I appologize for the long wait.

The problem that caused the no start is as follows.

The end of the main shaft in the CP3 pump that drives the gear pump at the back of the pump, snapped off where it enters the gear pump. This obviously made it impossible to drive the gear pump.

A local mechanic told me that gear pumps on this pump was susceptible to freezing up and causing this to happen..

·
Registered
8,238 Posts
Good to hear!
Hopefully you got lucky
Main cause of issues with CP3 are from contaminated fuel.
Need clean water free fuel.
What are micron ratings on Racor and Fleetguard filters?
really HPCR fuel system should be below 5 micron.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts