Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work one day I heard a enormous bang. Everything seems ok. This past week I notice poor mileage and down on power. I hear the odd metallic rattle from engine. If I hold injector line 2 or 5 I feel some harsh pulsing.

This brings me here. I come across 2 informing threads.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/2297658-regarding-jkidd-dap-bosch.html

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/2274930-who-use-injectors.html

Well way back in November of 2014 I installed "New BMS 100 injectors. In the above thread jkidd mentioned that these injectors are rated for 1400bar which is only 20,305 psi. Anybody that knows common rails knows they run much higher pressure than that.

So my question to you is what sort of damage should I possibly be looking for?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Best case, you need all new proper injectors. Worst case, you need new pistons, rings,injectors and whatever else got damaged or is getting damaged as you continue to drive it. Is it blowing out white or black or blue smoke, does it start easily? How about engine blowby when you remove oil filler cap? Should be none.

Likely your looking at minimum of $3000 in parts, as it seems from what you said the injectors are the wrong ones for your engine?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
You kept driving after the Big Bang.

I've never heard what noise an injector makes when it cracks .

At what point and do you know for sure an injector is cracked .

Anyway
If one is cracked you WILL have fuel in oil dilution .

Big Bang , down on power

Check all inter cooler boots thoughly.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Best case, you need all new proper injectors. Worst case, you need new pistons, rings,injectors and whatever else got damaged or is getting damaged as you continue to drive it. Is it blowing out white or black or blue smoke, does it start easily? How about engine blowby when you remove oil filler cap? Should be none.

Likely your looking at minimum of $3000 in parts, as it seems from what you said the injectors are the wrong ones for your engine?
No smoke at all, and no fuel in oil. What I originally thought was it dropped a valve seat. The engine seems fine otherwise. I pulled the valve cover and cannot see anything out of the ordinary. if I disconnect the injector wire the cylinders that have the pulsing injector line does make a slight difference.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Anyway

Big Bang , down on power

That is just it, I am not positive where the bang came from as this happened months ago. I was merging onto a highway. No loss of power or anything at that time. But just this past week is when I noticed these symptoms. The power is erratic, sometimes it seems ok other times not so much. I was searching threads on what to look for when injectors go bad. This leads me to believe I had an injector failure. Talking to BBI to get some replacements.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ordered some BBI stage 2 injectors. Will know in a week or so if anything is damaged internally.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Cracked injector can ( not always ) frequently be seen spraying with engine running / valve cover off for a brief time .
But you indicated no fuel in oil .

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Good luck.

The Big Bang , the somewhat normal operation never locating the bang ,, then a good length of time then loss of power / erratic engine operation is VERY CONFUSING and the lack of straightforward troubleshooting logic has me rapidly loosing all interest . And for that reason I'm out .

I truly hope you get the truck running correctly so you can use and enjoy it .
Sincerely , 24hrsparkey .

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good luck.

the lack of straightforward troubleshooting logic .

I truly hope you get the truck running correctly so you can use and enjoy it .
Sincerely , 24hrsparkey .
Oh I can troubleshoot. Can you grammar? I will find out more when the injectors arrive and I get a chance to replace them. As for the bang nothing changed so I never thought much about it. Now my fuel mileage sux and loss of power has me thinking. Especially with said injectors. BBI seems to think nothing should be wrong internally.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Run compression and leakdown tests after old injectors are pulled for the BBI's.
You are going to be expensively surprised.

The 03's break valves seats like candy from running programmer and/or high EGTs

RPRV plug kills the weak 03.04 OEM factory injectors, breaks bodies and/or nozzles crack. Reason NO ONE rebuilds them or pays core for them.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Anyway

Big Bang , down on power

When my #6 cracked, there was no indication of a failure. When I first started the truck the morning of the failure, I did notice a miss/vibration as I was backing out of my driveway. About 2 miles down the road, sitting at stop light, a fellow motorist told me I was leaking all kinds of fluid out the back....At that point, I noticed the oil pressure dropped and the check gauges light popped on. Bad times laid ahead. Luckily, I didn't blow up the motor but $4K later for new injectors and everything else that goes with them...Big Red was back in business.

Hopefully, the OPs problem is "as simple". Big bangs usually mean bad days lie ahead with equal amounts of cash depletion....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Run compression and leakdown tests after old injectors are pulled for the BBI's.
You are going to be expensively surprised.

The 03's break valves seats like candy from running programmer and/or high EGTs

RPRV plug kills the weak 03.04 OEM factory injectors, breaks bodies and/or nozzles crack. Reason NO ONE rebuilds them or pays core for them.
I do know of seat problems, just have not had any issues as of yet. Nothing performance wise changed for months after the bang. I never run hot exhaust temps. These are BMS injectors not stock. BBI accepts these as cores. I do not have a compression gauge but I will scope the cylinders.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Cheapy internet scope will see nothing.

Best borescope in the world cannot see broken rings, damaged lands or damaged leaking valves.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheapy internet scope will see nothing.

Best borescope in the world cannot see broken rings, damaged lands or damaged leaking valves.

uuuuuuuuuum mine isn't a cheap internet borescope. But at any rate it will show any marks on the surface of the piston from valve damage. DUH. I am confident there is no damage. It is just bad injectors. As for rings this is why you do a leak down/compression test.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Anyway

Big Bang , down on power

It turned out to be the boot from the turbo to intercooler tube. After replacing boot the turbo grenaded. Turbo must have been over speeding for a while.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another KN air filter sucking dirt.:wink2:
BWAHAHAHAHHA and another crackhead that can't put the pipe down.

My turbo is spotless as the whole intake tract.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts