Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While doing a brake job today I noticed a long vertical crack on my frame right inline where the rear part of the A frame attaches and one of the tabs where the A frame attaches is cracked as well. The larger crack is almost the vertical length of the frame.

Has anyone heard of this? I am thinking the truck is totaled welding in this location may be a problem

Could I claim on my Insurance?

Will try to add pics tomorrow

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok I promised a picture

so has anybody ever seen anything like this

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
u may make out here pretty well.. u could try and claim it and they may total it since it will require so much time and money to fix such an old truck. they will hand u a check for whatever the truck is worth which will go towards whatever u want, u break out the welder, take ur control arms off weld that biotch up and get inspected as a salvage title.. as long as u dont plan on selling it, that is the way to go.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If It Cracked From Metal Fatigue, Your'e Gonna Have To Weld It Grind It Down And The Put A Doubler Plate On Top Of It And Then Weld It On,then IT Will Still Probably Eventually Over Time Crack At The End Of The Double Plate,where The Weld Stops,i'd Heliarc It Back With Some Er70-6 Wire.put Some Good Penetration On That Weld.what Have You Got To Loose It's Already Broke.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
If It Cracked From Metal Fatigue, Your'e Gonna Have To Weld It Grind It Down And The Put A Doubler Plate On Top Of It And Then Weld It On,then IT Will Still Probably Eventually Over Time Crack At The End Of The Double Plate,where The Weld Stops,i'd Heliarc It Back With Some Er70-6 Wire.put Some Good Penetration On That Weld.what Have You Got To Loose It's Already Broke.

i agree, fish plate both sides. you should be ok after that imo. i've shortened frames and fish plated them w/o any issues.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I purchased the truck is used.

I pulled the engine last summer so I had been all over the truck then and never noticed it before, but it is obvious it has been there for some time and did not get that big overnight.

I'm still driving it just nervous now

·
Registered
689 Posts
i wonder what insurance would say about that?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I filed a claim with Insurance and it looks like they may cover the damage but it will result in totaling the truck they do not want to be responsable for altering the frame design because of impact crumple designed into the frame and such. they will let me purchase back and repair on my own. but I have no details on that yet.

So it looks like I am in the market for another smoker. used 06 or new 08?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Sounds like its gonna work out GREAT for ya.... umm I recently saw on here that a fireman had a 06 (i think) lifted and on 20's for sale it was a GOOD looking truck... just a heads up:thumbsup

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
we fix stuff like that all the time at the welding shop i work at. honestly, thats a pretty simple one, we did a jeep wagoneer that was broken both sides right infront of the motor mounts heres a few pics of the frame and the plow frame i made because thats what broke it in the first place. might help ya fix your frame.

to fix your truck we'd prolly charge 2-3 hours, $65/hr and $20-50 materials

sorry about the crappy pics, but i hope they help

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where are you at Rock?

I take it when you mentioned plows on trucks your about 1000-1500 miles north of me I am about 5 miles from the gulf of mexico

And BTW plows belong on tractors:rof

·
Premium Member
18,679 Posts
i would take rock kustoms up on the offer and buy the truck back from the ins company and pay them to put it back right. i have welded several frames myself and in my opinion it doesn't affect it much as long as the fabricator knows what's going on. from what it looks like above you should be ok just spray a little under coating to match the frame and pow new truck with cash for upgrades.

·
......................... .....
2,798 Posts
that plates actually welded to the plow frame, not the leaf spring.

I'm in connecticut, the shop i work at is in waterbury

1 - 15 of 15 Posts