Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealership is telling me that my DPF is cracked, and the sensors are melted??? I've been reading that the overhead tells you when the engine goes into regen. I have 23k on it and a couple of weeks ago I took it in for engine light. Dealer reflashed now I get more info lights at start up than before. Also for the first time I got a ding and DPF 100% refer to owners manual. I drove for 3 hours at hwy speeds getting to my destination after the warning. Never said regen, just stayed at 100% then lost 1/2 power started bucking and died. I think the truck has never done a regen and clogged the DPF which made it hot enough to melt the sensors, and crack the DPF. Anyone else have similar problems or thoughts?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow, thats the first I've heard of that one. What's the dealer saying about replacing your DPF? Wonder why it never went into regen. Do you have an '08?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 08 MegaCab. I have 5000 Km on it and during the last couple of weeks before the incident, the overhead told me the DPF was 80% full, then 90% and I thought that since I was driving at highway speeds, it went into regen (but it didn't say "regen" or anything) because it then said 70% full. On the next trip, similar readings on the overhead appeared. Then, on the return trip, the overhead said Catalyst Full, Service Required. So, I took it to the Dodge dealer and told them what it said, and they booked an appointment for getting it looked at in a week-and-a-half. I told them, it should be looked at right away, but they said they couldn't do that right then. I drove about 2 miles and it quit. I was in the way, so I got it started again and slowly drove off the road (it would barely run and I could only get the RPMs up to 1000).

The Dodge dealer finally got all the parts in yesterday (it took over a week) and they put them on and they are doing some more tests before I, hopefully, get it back later today.

My feeling is that the regen never did happen.

Has anyone thought of taking the DPF and Catalytic Converter off, pounding out what is inside and putting the empty shells back on? We used to do that with the catalytic converters along time ago on gas vehicles so we could burn leaded gas. What do you think will happen? I would probably put an EGR plate on, also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'll be glad to sell you my dpf.:hyper:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The service manager at my stealership told me that for the truck to go into regen it needed to be driven between 50 - 59 mph without cruise control on for a minimum of 45 minutes. Driving faster (actual highway speeds) will not perform the regen.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
my cat full light came on yesterday and I was in town were I couldn't drive at 50mph so I just turned on my EB and the % started to go down until I got the system ok status again!

·
Registered
211 Posts
The service manager at my stealership told me that for the truck to go into regen it needed to be driven between 50 - 59 mph without cruise control on for a minimum of 45 minutes. Driving faster (actual highway speeds) will not perform the regen.

Once again, the brilliance of environmentalism. Go take a fifty mile unnecessary trip to unclog your dpf. I love it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
my cat full light came on yesterday and I was in town were I couldn't drive at 50mph so I just turned on my EB and the % started to go down until I got the system ok status again!
That's good to know. I've heard various beenfits to using the exhaust brake, its good to know there's more.

Amazing though to have to drive this truck in a certian way in order for it to function properly. DPF delete, here I come:hyper:

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I had a similar experience with my 08 MegaCab. I have 5000 Km on it and during the last couple of weeks before the incident, the overhead told me the DPF was 80% full, then 90% and I thought that since I was driving at highway speeds, it went into regen (but it didn't say "regen" or anything) because it then said 70% full. On the next trip, similar readings on the overhead appeared. Then, on the return trip, the overhead said Catalyst Full, Service Required. So, I took it to the Dodge dealer and told them what it said, and they booked an appointment for getting it looked at in a week-and-a-half. I told them, it should be looked at right away, but they said they couldn't do that right then. I drove about 2 miles and it quit. I was in the way, so I got it started again and slowly drove off the road (it would barely run and I could only get the RPMs up to 1000).

The Dodge dealer finally got all the parts in yesterday (it took over a week) and they put them on and they are doing some more tests before I, hopefully, get it back later today.

My feeling is that the regen never did happen.

Has anyone thought of taking the DPF and Catalytic Converter off, pounding out what is inside and putting the empty shells back on? We used to do that with the catalytic converters along time ago on gas vehicles so we could burn leaded gas. What do you think will happen? I would probably put an EGR plate on, also.
I would strongly discourage knocking out the DPF like people do with Cats. It will cause the truck to go into limp mode and DPF are very exspensive to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you. That is what I was wondering about.

The other thing I learned is the cruise control variable. I had never read that you shouldn't be using cruise to trigger the regen.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Regen and Cruise control

I recently did a 2000 mile trip and used cruise all the way and my truck did regen. I averaged between 70-80 mph

Matter of fact it did most of them during the first 1000 miles of a 2000 mile round trip. I was empty on the trip out. The return 1000 mile trip (with 9K lbs) did not result in many successful regens.

I could watch the pyro temps go up (edge insight) then drop down.

I did notice that sometimes the temps would climb for a short time then drop off and the sucessful regens counter would not get incremented.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wow, I'm glad I took mine off. I don't get the logic, spend more on fuel, burn more "foreignfrign oil" and heat the world with my overweight emissions crap. Oh yeah and theirs that thing about my truck breaking, makes a lot of sense to me.:$:

·
Retired Engineer
557 Posts
For those who have been told by your dealership that you have to drive at 55 MPH with out cruise control. NOT TRUE!
I had the dealer install the Pyro gauge to monitor the Regen process.
We compared his scan with my observations of temperatures.
Everything matches. Regen = 1200 degrees
Speed does not seem to alter the regen process nor does cruise control.
Regen lasts for approx 15 minutes.
Most times it is a solid 1200 degrees for the entire process.
Other times the temperature will vary from 1100 to 1300 in steps and each lasting for approx 20 - 40 seconds go back to 1000 degrees for 10 - 20 seconds and then repeating the 1100 to 1300 routine for another 20 - 40 seconds.
This process also lasts for approx 15 minutes.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sucks if a lot of us don't go on the highway much, nevermind 45 minutes.......CT isnt' that big :lol3:

·
Registered
368 Posts
i believe your dealer is full of bull hockey .

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
The dealership is telling me that my DPF is cracked, and the sensors are melted??? I've been reading that the overhead tells you when the engine goes into regen. I have 23k on it and a couple of weeks ago I took it in for engine light. Dealer reflashed now I get more info lights at start up than before. Also for the first time I got a ding and DPF 100% refer to owners manual. I drove for 3 hours at hwy speeds getting to my destination after the warning. Never said regen, just stayed at 100% then lost 1/2 power started bucking and died. I think the truck has never done a regen and clogged the DPF which made it hot enough to melt the sensors, and crack the DPF. Anyone else have similar problems or thoughts?
on the 07.5 they had DPF's that had cracks in them. Not all of them but enough of them. They never came out and said it to the customers but the Techs had to pull them off andlook at them when they came in for service/CEL light

·
Registered
331 Posts
Mine was cracked and I left it for 20K before I went in and had it replaced. I deleted the whole exhaust right after i got the new one in so now i have a brand new exhaust sitting in the garage. Cracked DPF will not hurt anything and should not throw codes. Do not listen to them about melting probes. Check them yourself first. Mine were fine. My truck would also smoke pretty good when i had the cracked DPF. If your bumber is black then you have a crack.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
Mine was cracked and I left it for 20K before I went in and had it replaced. I deleted the whole exhaust right after i got the new one in so now i have a brand new exhaust sitting in the garage. Cracked DPF will not hurt anything and should not throw codes. Do not listen to them about melting probes. Check them yourself first. Mine were fine. My truck would also smoke pretty good when i had the cracked DPF. If your bumber is black then you have a crack.
I think that was the whole thing about the cracked DPF. It was just filtering correctly. Letting the truck smoke when it should not

1 - 19 of 19 Posts