Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On January 4th, my local Dodge dealer took care of the CP4 pump replacement.
At around 170 miles into my weekend trip (Central Oregon), the power steering pump reservior become low causing the whirring sound.
I topped off the reservoir only to find it becoming low again 60 or so miles later.

I'm back home and have called for an appointment.
Here's my concern.

This pump operates the power assit steering system, as well as the power brake system.
When the pump vanes make the whirring sound, this can't be good.
I will be taking an approximate 1,000 +/- mile trip in February, and I do not want to have a pump failure.
I am concerned that they should not only correct the leak, but also replace this pump.

What are your thoughts?

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Unless the pump is bad and the cause of the leak they are not going to replace it. You can plead with them until you are blue in the face that it "could" have damaged it but they will not replace it unless they can prove it is bad. That's how they operate.

Reactions: Olypopper and Lins

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:
I have an appointment for this morning.
According to the service manager, they are going to "inspect" the pump before determining if a replacement is necessary.
"Inspect"?????
The dealers DO NOT have mechanics on staff today.... they are "Parts Changers" only.
I can't imagine that this pump will be removed, put on the work bench, disassembled and inspected!
So WTF does "inspected" mean?

I have rebuilt vane style hydraulic pumps in the past.
I know of no means of "Inspecting" one of these pumps, unless it has been removed and disassembled!
Is there a new High-Tech, micro camera inspection that I am not aware of?? :unsure:

As I mentioned, I will be doing a long road trip in the very near future.
This pump has been operated while very low on fluid.... low enough to scream at me!
A total failure may distribute particles throughout the steering system, and within the brake booster system.
Wouldn't it behoove Chrysler to replace it NOW, rather than to encure a total failure, towing charges, Non-Dodge shop costs, steering system work, brake booster work, lost time re; reservations, etc?
Oh, and get this...... they do not even have this pump in stock, yet they will be doing an "Inspection" that will determine whether or not a replacement is necessary!

I have owned/operated several business during my working career. General Construction, Marine repair and my rental business.
I would NEVER let something like this go when a simple replacement NOW would not only save money/headaches in the long run, but would make for a happy customer as well!

Oh well!

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, here is a further update:
As said, my appointment was for 8:30 AM yesterday.
At 10:00 my truck was still out back in the parking lot.
Shortly after 10:00, a tech (i.e., parts changer) went out and crawled underneath it to take a look. He found that an O-ring had not been installed correctly.
He replaced the O-ring, topped off the fluid, fired the engine up, and determined that the pump was indeed making noise.
The new pump is on order and it will be replaced tomorrow.

The moral of the story (if there is one);
"occasionally the service writer should listen in more detail to the customer! Especially if THAT customer has mechanical skills and made the suggestion from the get-go!"

5.7 Hemi said:
If the pump reservoir is low, where did the fluid go? It just doesn’t disappear like a mobile home in a tornado.
With the fitting O-ring leaking, little-by-little the fluid was spilling onto the road!

H3LZSN1P3R said:
… but by the sounds of it you probably worry about things way more than you should
Well, as it turns out, my suspicions were correct!

Thanks to all of you for your input here.

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5.7 Hemi said:
I still say there would be evidence of the leak. But, you’ve got it figured out now that the dealer found a missing o ring.
Perhaps I wasn't clear.
Yes, there has been evidence of a leak from the get-go. Both in seeing the low reservoir level (and the need to top it off) ........ and seeing the tell tale signs of fluid on the snow.

My disagreement with the dealer was NOT whether there was a leak or not!
My disagreement was regarding damage to the pump.
As it turns out, I was correct from the get-go.

New pump is on order, and will be replaced either later today or tommorow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts