Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Cause just like Ford hoping you made it through the warranty period before the 6.oh no grenaded.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Permanent fix would be a roller lifter made of a design and material that wouldn't fail. No temporary insurance like this needed and no eventual CP3 swap.

Reactions: cumminsturbofreak

·
Registered
22 Posts
I suspect that the reason its not part of the stock truck is that manufactures probably feel installing a kit like this would be tacitly admitting the pump fails all to often, this would expose the company to all sorts of liability and litigation as by installing the part you’re essentially admitting you know it might fail, attorneys would jump on this like a hyena on a fresh kill. It could possibly put the manufacturers on the hook for a lot of money and liability for all future failures...just my suspicion is all

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,086 Posts
it would cost more money to have it installed. fca was already counting beans when they decided to move to the cp4. simple as that.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I suspect that the reason its not part of the stock truck is that manufactures probably feel installing a kit like this would be tacitly admitting the pump fails all to often..
I disagree. If Ram had the protection gizmo installed on every truck, they'd be isolating a potential problem, or a designed/calculated risk (nothing is 100% reliable). If the pump failed, they could push the responsibility down to Bosch and stick them with the warranty repair. Plus, they'd be able to market that the Cummins diesel engine is protected from potential pump failures.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,086 Posts
well, a part that wasn't on the original BoM pricing excercise, wouldn't have added cost to the truck. now, add the fuel block. wallah. additional cost per box where, in this case, the truck is the box. it's simple commodity management.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
The fix is to machine the metering supply on the inlet side of the fuel pump instead of the exit side. And that won’t happen because that admits fault in the design for Bosch.

You have to remember that FCA is also included under the CP4 lawsuit for the eco diesel. Any changes to the CP4 would mean automatically losing that lawsuit.

·
Registered
219 Posts
well, a part that wasn't on the original BoM pricing excercise, wouldn't have added cost to the truck. now, add the fuel block. wallah. additional cost per box where, in this case, the truck is the box. it's simple commodity management.
In other words, you don't know how much more it would cost.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,086 Posts
oh man lol no, I don't know the actual number. I did stay at a holiday Inn. one time i think.

common sense tells the tale. being in commodity management and supply chain would tell ya a bit more. that's if someone wanted to learn something. most don't these days and not really a surprise.

you don't need to know THEE number. good lawd a lotta karen types sureb pop up in hur.

carry on.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Unrelated to recent posts on this thread, but I noticed people on net will start huge arguments over something they have a choice NOT to buy.

Also, theres a lot of shaming on "modding" a vehicle. Hell, I’ve been criticized for tinting too dark, installing aux tanks, deleting, changing TIPM settings, doing an Allison swap, custom tuning an ECM myself, and now making a CP4 engine protection block, and that’s just on this site...

Some people think they have a right to establish what I'm allowed to do to my vehicles, and how I share the knowledge gained from it.

That way of thinking doesn’t help anyone and actually eliminates the need for forum like this.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Pressure relief valve is still on the return side of the pump. The metering I’m talking bout is the Fuel Control Solenoid on the top of the pump.

In stock config, the fuel enters the crank case of the pump for lubrication, then flows to the Fuel Control Solenoid and pressure relief valve. The S&S disaster prevention kit moves the fuel supply of that fuel control solenoid from the return side to the inlet side. Pressure relief valve still works as intended and pressure drops shouldn't be an issue unless poorly designed.

Reactions: star_deceiver
81 - 93 of 93 Posts