Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a bolt on protection block for the 6.7 Cummins with the CP4.2. It would prevent metallic particles from reaching the fuel rail and injectors in the event of a CP4 bottom end failure.

I now have my prototypes which bolt on to the CP4 perfectly, but now I don't have a truck to test them on, so that part will be on hold. In any case, I already see an area where I can make a revision to the prototype to have a foolproof final version.

If these prototypes are acceptable, I'll be open to selling them for around 30% off. Final revision will have final price, which I'll reveal once they are tested.

Now, in order for me to continue, I need good pictures of a CP4 mounted on a 2019+ Cummins. I need a picture taken from the top and one taken from the rear. Does anyone want to donate a couple so I can get that final version designed?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a sneak peak.

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you just a few underhood shots?
Yep. One on top and one pic from behind the pump from around under the intake manifold would be nice. I need to see the size of the factory quick connect fuel fittings.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those help immensely, but could you get an image from straight on top of the solenoid? I need to see the spacing between the fuel connectors.

I really appreciate it! You are a huge help(y)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Why not just do a cp3 swap

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$2,300 is a lot to throw out warranty completely.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Are these at all helpful?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Reactions: elephantrider

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Its a good thing for protecting the after pump lines and injectors, but some questions. 1st is, what about warranty when dealer sees the block sitting on the IP? 2nd, what maintenenace would be required, the continual bolting and unbolting of the block might cause thread wear and would require pump replacement?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its a good thing for protecting the after pump lines and injectors, but some questions. 1st is, what about warranty when dealer sees the block sitting on the IP? 2nd, what maintenenace would be required, the continual bolting and unbolting of the block might cause thread wear and would require pump replacement?
Unfortunately, warranty is definitely questionable. If you bring the truck in for warranty repair with that block, there is a good chance they can void warranty on the pump.

It can be easily removed for warranty engine repair, but that should only be done as few times as possible. Threads would most likely only be destroyed if repeatedly being overtorqued. Really, the main issue with repeated removal is the risk of opening the clean side of a fuel system to contaminants. Not everyone is as clean as they need to be when working there.

No maintenance required with the block. If somebody isn't the type to go to a dealer, the block can simply sit on the pump until the pump fails in the future. When that happens, you'd clean it up, and just transfer it to a new pump.

This definitely won't be a fix all for everyone because of the warranty risk, but it is the simplest and cheapest drop in way to protect the injectors and engine from a pump failure.

Reactions: RamHunter18

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
It seems like a good option once the warranty is up. If it does not need maintenace, then its a good option. How does it seal the HP, by "O" ring/gasket or both?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I would think thread wear is a non issue. It goes on and stays on until pump sh!ta the bed. Pull it off and get warranty or buy your own pump.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems like a good option once the warranty is up. If it does not need maintenace, then its a good option. How does it seal the HP, by "O" ring/gasket or both?
It uses a Viton Oring in the bore and a square Viton Oring between the pump and block. The solenoid Orings are simply reused.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
If its under warranty, no cost to me, if I prematurely install it and break down on the road, I won't be able to remove it before it goes to the Dealer. Thats why I asked if its required to be removed frequently, so thread wear is a non issue.
I would think thread wear is a non issue. It goes on and stays on until pump sh!ta the bed. Pull it off and get warranty or buy your own pump.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Spectacular ctf!
Please tell me you patented this before posting it for the world to see. You'll sell a pile of them IF someone doesn't get to it first. Wonder what S&S's patent looks like, or if they have one?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spectacular ctf!
Please tell me you patented this before posting it for the world to see. You'll sell a pile of them IF someone doesn't get to it first. Wonder what S&S's patent looks like, or if they have one?
We all don't have a patent because we've all copied each other lol.

Mine uses the same basic ideas as other, but it's more universally packaged.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If its under warranty, no cost to me, if I prematurely install it and break down on the road, I won't be able to remove it before it goes to the Dealer. Thats why I asked if its required to be removed frequently, so thread wear is a non issue.
Might matter if dealer doesn’t do proper job fixing your truck. Then claim nothing’s wrong till your warranty is done. I personally want minimal damage as from my experience most people don’t care as much as I do about repairing my stuff. And on top of it added cost of renting a vehicle or being without your truck. Lots make money with these things.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts