Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what's a safe rpm to be pulling my 4000lb fifth wheel trailer up steep hills. I live in British Columbia Canada and there is lots of steep terrain up to the local fishing lakes. Towing my trailer up some pretty steep grades and under load I'm at around 2500rpm. Is this a safe rpm to hold the motor at under full load?

Also my tranny gets up to around 220 degrees on these long grades. What's the limit on how hot the auto tranny can get? I have no tranny mods at all.

Thanks

·
HI
3,440 Posts
just keep your rpm's below redline and you should be fine. 220 degrees for your tranny is alittle warm but its still ok. dont let it go up past that. ive been told that around 240 and 250 that will start causing damage to the tranny fluid. i try to keep my tranny no hotter than 210 degrees.

·
Banned
4,288 Posts
I always keep my rpms at 2100 on steep grades. Just aproach the hills at 2100, that is the sweet spot of these Cummins. You will notice cooler egts & more power.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts