Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Couple of questions

809 Views 12 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Drew92
Hey guys, couple quick questions.

I recently replaced my IP and haven't tapped the wire for my edge comp yet. I was wondering with it not tapped does it still provide the timing advance or is the tap required? Also I noticed when I was playin with WOT that I almost drove it into the red zone on my rpm's before I backed off, does this mean it's got the drag unlock on it? I thought the stock defueled at 2700 but I was surely around the 3200 I heard the drag fuel to. I'm just curious since it doesn't say anything about drag on the box itself.

Also even with it untapped I can make 30+ psi pretty easily and smoke with the box off now that the new pump is on, do you think I could have aftermarket injectors/nozzles? I've checked all the boots and even pressure tested it and nothing leaked. Kinda curious and hopeful.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,630 Posts
Without the IP tapped it is the same thing as an edge EZ, it will only give you timing and a small amount of fuel. Andything over level 3 will not do anything on your truck until you tap the pump.

· Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So it is still providing the timing then. Well I wanna make sure the pump is solid before I go and tap it. Can't seem to talk the wife into the stealth cover... :S:

1,630 Posts
So it is still providing the timing then. Well I wanna make sure the pump is solid before I go and tap it. Can't seem to talk the wife into the stealth cover... :S:
Yes you still get the timing on levels 1-3 and a small amount of fuel on levels 2-3. Just tell the wife you need the stealth plate to make sure your warranty isn't voided on the pump.

We know it will be....but she doesn't need to know that.:headbang:

· Registered
329 Posts
Just remember the risk you take tapping the pump. You WILL shorten the life of the pump! Some last 5yrs tapped others last 5 minutes. There is no way to tell. I had a friend that had a brand new VP44 with a Fass LP on it and as soon as he tapped the pump the LP crapped out within 5000 miles. It's a risk, but we all do it for that HP!!!:headbang:

1,630 Posts
Well thanks for the replies guys.

Can anyone explain the comp box vs the drag for me?
The drag comp is exactly the same as the regular comp except you loose the the ability to turn it all the way off. The lowest you can go is the old level one.

The other difference is level 6 is the same as the old level 5, but now it will fuel until 3200 RPM instead of 2700 RPM.

1,630 Posts
So do you think that since I clearly was past the 2700 that I have the drag unlocked on it?
No because you don't have the pump tapped. Your truck will run past 2700 rpm stock. But it cuts the amount of fuel it gets at that point. Same thing with the regular comp. It stops sending extra fuel at 2700 rpm unless you have the drag comp. But it will still rev past that.

· Registered
2,392 Posts
Check the numbers on the back of the box. If it says "Drag" in there anywhere, then it's a drag comp. If it doesn't then it isn't. It's that simple :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.