Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is my first diesel truck I have a couple o questions.
what is the life expectancy of the 5.9 engine mileage wise?
I have heard they can go roughly 300,000 before a rebuild would be in order.
also what does a rebuild cost on a diesel engine?

·
low life
1,471 Posts
give or take on the mileage, do you regular maintance, do know about the rebuilt hope i never find out

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since this is my first diesel truck I have a couple o questions.
what is the life expectancy of the 5.9 engine mileage wise?
I have heard they can go roughly 300,000 before a rebuild would be in order.
also what does a rebuild cost on a diesel engine?
moms went over 500...last forever if you treat it right... i have only drove them to about 250 before selling...

·
Registered
5 Posts
engine longevity

I know of several gas engines in the 300,000 range, would think the cummins would go much higher on avg. My wifes Monte Carlo eng. went 270k and that thing was abused.

·
Registered
247 Posts
the 6.7l cummins is listed at 520,000 miles (that might be at 305hp)

·
Registered
923 Posts
You gotta imagine these motors are spinning max at 3,200 rpm's - More than half of a gasser. Most of the time they are spinning less than 2,000 rpm's... That is why they last so long. Imagine the cam is spinning only 1,000rpm (at 2Krpm crank). You will probably have more problems with the suspension, body, trans, before the motor rebuild.... I guess its a good problem.... LOL

·
Banned
531 Posts
"Engine manufacturers us probability to measure just how long they are willing to say their engines will last. Cummins says its 5.9 ISB series engines have 350,000-mile B50 engine life. pretty much about 50 percent of the engines it produces will be running at 350,000 miles." (quote: came from May 2009 Diesel Power magazine Make Your Truck Last Forever) I mean if you take care of it do required maintenance the only thing you have to worry about is the truck body falling apart, but the enigne will last longer than the body.

·
Registered
5 Posts
longevity

Ive heard other factors that contribute to longevity other than the rpms mentioned above are: the oily consistency of diesel fuel itself; also the extra strength of all parts concerned(engine) due to the higher compression ratio of the diesel.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are many Dodge Cummins trucks running over 1,000,000 miles. Mostly hot shotters towing just about every mile. These engines are made to last a long time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
mileage

I am picking up an 04 today, sold my 98 couple of weeks ago. The 04 has 130k miles on it. Runs great, have to keep reminding myself thats just broke in lol. Tougher to convince the wife. I drove several trucks, one thing I noticed and dont know the significance of was an 05 114k and an 06 33kmiles had much more engine noise than the 04. Any ideas as to what would cause that?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I am picking up an 04 today, sold my 98 couple of weeks ago. The 04 has 130k miles on it. Runs great, have to keep reminding myself thats just broke in lol. Tougher to convince the wife. I drove several trucks, one thing I noticed and dont know the significance of was an 05 114k and an 06 33kmiles had much more engine noise than the 04. Any ideas as to what would cause that?
Higher compression ratio
Retarded timing
tighter valvetrain, looser exhaust valve
More Hp

·
Registered
5 Posts
Interesting, Thanks Pwr2tow. I would like to improve my mechanical knowledge and ability on my truck. This website looks like a good place to do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts