Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

couple ?? for you 24 valve guys

2906 Views 36 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  kjpcummins
so i was messen around on u tube and found a home video of a killer dowel pin fix after it had fallen out and i notced that it was a 24 valve it had 24 valve heads and pump i thought that the 24 valves dident have this problem

and i thought that the 24 valves could have there timming advaced or am i losen my mind
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Certain early years still have the KDP my buddies 98.5 has it

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok good at least im not loosen my mind

· Registered
574 Posts
up to 01....:doh::shock:

which is why i'm oh so glad i have an 02:thumbsup::party018::headbang::D
you need to do some research, KDP's can be found in ALL year first and second generation trucks:shock: and lets not forget about the 53 blocks that can be found in ALL year 24V's. which is why I'm glad I have a late 01 HO motor with the mexican block :thumbsup:

there was an 02 killed by the KDP a while back with reciepts to prove it, I believe it was on TDR:doh:

so lets not spread false information:thumbsup:

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet all my buddys that have ben maken fun of my 12 valve goen down got it comen there way to:hehe:. but id hate to wish it upon on any one though its not a good deal

· Premium Member
12,665 Posts
you need to do some research, KDP's can be found in ALL year first and second generation trucks:shock: and lets not forget about the 53 blocks that can be found in ALL year 24V's. which is why I'm glad I have a late 01 HO motor with the mexican block :thumbsup:

there was an 02 killed by the KDP a while back with reciepts to prove it, I believe it was on TDR:doh:

so lets not spread false information:thumbsup:
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuddddddddddeeee..... :(

man, that friggin sucks.....:doh::banghead:

IIRC, i got that info from TDR, but, it was a while back...:thumbsup:

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i hate to bad mouth cummins god nows i love there motors but dam they should of recalled this in the 12 valves and now they should be in the 24s

G

·
well they arent in all 24v some have it some dont some of them have the update cover so the pin wont come out the 24v i just did were both 2002s

· Registered
1,688 Posts
And don't forget that the Red trucks get more tickets and black trucks have more accidents.. God I am glad I own a silver truck...

Yes that statement is as bad as some of these about the 53 blocks and the kdp....

· Registered
111 Posts
we just did two kdp on 24v in the last couple months ive debate checking mine here soon
please excuse my ignorance kjp, i'm new to the cummins and am wondering what this dowel pin is and how to tell if i'm gonna have a problem with it, thanks

G

·
The aluminum front gear housing on the 5.9 Cummins is precisely located on the front of the cast iron engine block using dowel pins. The dowel pin is about 5/16 inch diameter by 3/4inch length made of steel. During engine assembly the dowel pins are driven into holes drilled in the block such that about half their length protrudes. Matching holes in the gear housing permit a precise fit of the housing the block. Several cap screws are used to hold the housing to the block. The problem with the dowel pin occurs because the hole in the aluminum gear housing was drilled through. During engine operation vibration could cause the dowel pin to work its way out of the hole and fall into the gear case. When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.

On the other hand, the pin can be caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing, breaking out a big chunk of the housing which would cause a huge oil leak and an expensive, time consuming failure.

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
please excuse my ignorance kjp, i'm new to the cummins and am wondering what this dowel pin is and how to tell if i'm gonna have a problem with it, thanks
its most common on the 12 valves and can cause alot of damge and can be a big pain theres a reason they call it the killer dowel pin do a serch on it

· Registered
111 Posts
its most common on the 12 valves and can cause alot of damge and can be a big pain theres a reason they call it the killer dowel pin do a serch on it
Thanks kjp and crolando! Appreciate you guys takin the time to put up with an FNG!

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not a prob now what about the timming i thought it you could advance the timming on the 24 valves and is a inline pump better then an intake pump

G

·
the only way to adjust timing on a vp truck is a programmer on a ppump you can advance the timing mechanically

and im confused about your inline/intake pump statement

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that was my ? is if you can advance the timming mechanically
and my other ? is if a inline fuel pump like a pump that goes in the fuel line just after the tank is better then an intank pump thats in side the fuel tank thanks for bearen with me on this

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.