Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys, My neighbor is a hardcore powerstroke man... BUT he has a 06 PSD and it has 30k on it and is on his 4th set of injectors and he is fed up so he is looking into getting a new 6.7 and he was asking me what problems he may possibly encounter with the 6.7.... Take in mind NO hard driving but the truck is hooked to a gooseneck/equipment 90% of the time... I know the majority of the problems and I would just like to try and get a good list to tell him... I tried talking him into a 07 5.9 but he insists on only buying brand new so if you guys could please help me out that would be great :thumbsup... ps sorry for the book

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Stay away from an early build 07.5. Most of the problems are in those trucks. Tell him to look at an 08 and make sure it has the latest flash when it leaves the dealer.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! now anything else fellas? I have been preaching Cummins to this guy for 10 years now! :popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
838 Posts
after u got the latest flash on my 07.5 i didn't have any problems, only codes now are for the dpf and egr... i think they're broken :w:

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
tell him to buy a 06 like yours.. he only wants new because he's a X ford guy IMO stuck up chin held high tell him to get a lil older of one he will be just as happy..

·
Registered
316 Posts
The only issues common with the 6.7L have been emissions related. Early build 07's had some turbos fail and replaced with a revised turbo. Several flash updates seem to have corrected most problems.

Currently it appears the only remaining issue deals with the O2 sensors, mainly the forward one. It clogs up with soot sometimes (P2000/P2a01 codes). There is talk about a new designed shielded O2 sensor and flash update for May. Have to wait and see.

I have an early build 07.5 (Feb. 08) I purchased in Sept. 08. By that time the major flash updates had already been done so I did not have all of the problems some did. My turbo was updated to the newer design and I've had the P2000 a couple times. It has always ran great. Now have 12,500 miles on it and lov'n it!

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
I have had eight 5.9's and now a 6.7 and you cannot even compare the two. The only downfall I have had with the 6.7 over the 5.9 is the fuel mileage. Its down about 2 MPG over my 05 but it is well worth the trade-off :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts