Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 3” Thuren overland system in my 07 with 35’s, when the 35’s are shot I’m thinking of going up to 37’s. I’ll likely need extended control arms to recenter the axle for clearance, not in the budget for thuren or carli arms, wondering what others have found to be the least costly control arms for this purpose? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
When I raised mine and went to 35's, I decided if I was going to have to spend money on new control arms, they would be adjustable. I didnt see the point in a fixed length, as they would have to be exactly the right length, or the axle still wouldnt be right. I also didnt see the point in me spending $700 - $1,000 for a fixed arm. So, I went with Rough Country adjustable, and have had no issues whatsoever. $399.95 - Rough Country Adjustable Control Arms

·
On call 24/7
12,392 Posts
Core 4x4 weren’t cheap but they were cheaper than Thuren and Carli and are not mild steal. I got the set with Johnny joints on one end and a bend for better tire clearance. They are heavy duty and I am very pleased with them.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Check out Metal Cloak. I felt for the money, they were the best option without dropping the extra money for a Carli or Thuren arm.
If you're just going to a 3" lift, and not doing anything special, I don't see the reason you would need an adjustable arm. One more thing to get loose or go wrong.

MetalCloak 2003-2009 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Front Control Arm Set
$549

I ran Top Gun Customz previously and the bushing in those were crap. The cost of replacing bushings plus the original cost of the arms, and you're at the Metal Cloak arms.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
A 3" lift will move the axle 11/16" to the back of the wheel well, which can cause a rub with tires. Raising it (any amount) with fixed arms, also changes the caster of the axle. Adjustable arms solve both these issues, and leave you open to lower the truck back to stock, or raise it more. A good adjustable arm wont come loose. My cheap Rough Country arms I linked above, havent given me a single issue in the 3yrs I have had them installed :smile2:

Check out Metal Cloak. I felt for the money, they were the best option without dropping the extra money for a Carli or Thuren arm.
If you're just going to a 3" lift, and not doing anything special, I don't see the reason you would need an adjustable arm. One more thing to get loose or go wrong.

MetalCloak 2003-2009 Dodge Ram 2500/3500 Front Control Arm Set
$549

I ran Top Gun Customz previously and the bushing in those were crap. The cost of replacing bushings plus the original cost of the arms, and you're at the Metal Cloak arms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Another vote for Metal Cloak. I ran those for a bit before going with long arms and they seemed good for the money. I actually still have them sitting here collecting dust...

·
Registered
522 Posts
A 3" lift will move the axle 11/16" to the back of the wheel well, which can cause a rub with tires. Raising it (any amount) with fixed arms, also changes the caster of the axle. Adjustable arms solve both these issues, and leave you open to lower the truck back to stock, or raise it more. A good adjustable arm wont come loose. My cheap Rough Country arms I linked above, havent given me a single issue in the 3yrs I have had them installed :smile2:
I should clarify that I didn't mean a stock length arm :) but a +1/2" arm. I did a lot of digging before I did my 3" and everything pointed to a +1/2" solid control arm set. I understand that some people prefer that fine adjust-ability though.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I think Metal Cloaks for sure. A fixed length is the way to go for a 3" lift. Metal Cloaks hold up for normal use and mild off-road with zero maintenance.

·
Registered
10,323 Posts
When I raised mine and went to 35's, I decided if I was going to have to spend money on new control arms, they would be adjustable. I didnt see the point in a fixed length, as they would have to be exactly the right length, or the axle still wouldnt be right. I also didnt see the point in me spending $700 - $1,000 for a fixed arm. So, I went with Rough Country adjustable, and have had no issues whatsoever. $399.95 - Rough Country Adjustable Control Arms
In order to fine tune the length with a single adjusting collar,does one side of the arm have to come off to adjust? I've seen the double adjustment nuts before.

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts
In order to fine tune the length with a single adjusting collar,does one side of the arm have to come off to adjust? I've seen the double adjustment nuts before.
Sorry for such a delay in responding. Im not on here much any more, and didnt get an email notification that you had responded/quoted. Yes, one side has to come off, to adjust. But, its no big deal. I installed my new arms when I leveled my truck in the front. When I removed the factory arms, I drew everything out on a piece of plywood, then adjusted for the difference in height that I was raising. It meant a change of 5/8" of an inch in the control arms, and an 1/8" in the track bar. I set the new arms 5/8" longer than the stock arms, installed them, and my caster was 4.5 when I took it to get the front end aligned, and was perfect side to side (track bar). I havent had to touch them since. I have though, thought about taking one end loose, and adjusting it, to try to get closer to 4 degrees of caster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts