Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal i put a reman trans with a no name single disk billet converter in my truck about 5000k miles ago. first time i had ever touched a trans and the install didn't go too bad. however when i was done it wouldn't move ended up taking it to a trans shop and it was just a severe tv adjustment that needed done easy fix.

anyway so far the trans has been good shifts good locks up strong actually the first week it was amazing with quick firm shifts but as it broke in everything started getting smoother. i never felt it slip under stock power but i just pulled my fuel plate and it didn't really seem to add much power but if i floored it in 3rd gear lock up it would pour out some coal and start to launch and just then it would slip so i would imediately let off the throttle.

one other problem is if i don't come to a 100% complete stop the trans won't downshift to 1st so i need to get the tv cable fine tuned a little bit

so i'm the kind of person who wants a trans to shift as firm as possible and love the feeling of it snapping you back in the seat as it shifts also like the shifts to be as quick as possible. i want to get a shift kit put in and have a trans shop do it for the simple reason if i do screw it up i don't want to have to tow the truck in there again to have them fix my screw up.

so what kits should i be looking for want to get something that's real complete with options as far as different springs for firmness and a good kit that will last. what can i expect to pay as far as labor for them installing the kit i will go get a few prices but i want to know im not getting ripped off.

probably get them to adjust the tv cable, bands and change the fluid a nice little tune up after the first 5-10k miles

·
Registered
790 Posts
Trans go and dtt sell shift kits ranging from $80.-$200. lots of good write write ups on both.

TV cable is very easy to do yourself. I wouldn'tpay anyone to do it.

·
Banned
300 Posts
I bought the transgo SK-TFOD diesel kit and did it myself.
Not really that bad outside of a couple of pita procedures.
I'll let you know how it turned out here as soon as I get the VB back in (probably Friday).
Don't know how much you make, but for the level of expertise I have seen that this job requires, I am money ahead doing it myself.
Here is my math on the matter:
Shop rate = $75.00 / hr
My time (outside of work) = $0.00 / hr

Doing a shift kit does not involve any special tools outside of say a #37 drill bit and a bit of adventurousness. Worst case scenario (in my estimation) was that I totally botch the job and have to purchase a pre-built VB from a DTT or such. I laid $89.00 against that possibility and like my odds.
Of course, YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts