Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 is currently running on a set of BF Goodrich KO tires that are practically worn out at 32,000 miles. I have been looking at the Coopers and wondering if anyone has had experience good or bad with them.

Also other tire recommendations are greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I love mine, all around best tire I've ever owned. Quiet, no flex while towing, still look new at 15k miles. Better than toyo m/t in snow, nearly the same in mud. Best of all way cheaper than most comparable tires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love mine, all around best tire I've ever owned. Quiet, no flex while towing, still look new at 15k miles. Better than toyo m/t in snow, nearly the same in mud. Best of all way cheaper than most comparable tires.
Thanks for your contribution above. I have my second set of ST Maxx on my Landcruiser and am looking to fit them to my Ram

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I still love the ST Maxx

Just a few questions to you about the 35" tires and towing. What gear are you towing in?
What diff ratio?
Are you towing in 6th or does the transmission select lower gears?
What weights are you towing?
Do you find the engine and transmission copes well with the 8% increase in diameter over the standard?

I am trying to get a better understanding in my post http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-forum/1606330-towing-question-bigger-tires.html

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I got Cooper discoverer STT's 35x12.5x17 I love them...the only problem i have is darn tpms which claims I'm under inflated but the max psi for them is 65. They handle great in all conditions and wear very well. WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Thanks for your contribution above. I have my second set of ST Maxx on my Landcruiser and am looking to fit them to my Ram

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I still love the ST Maxx

Just a few questions to you about the 35" tires and towing. What gear are you towing in?
What diff ratio?
Are you towing in 6th or does the transmission select lower gears?
What weights are you towing?
Do you find the engine and transmission copes well with the 8% increase in diameter over the standard?

I am trying to get a better understanding in my post http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-forum/1606330-towing-question-bigger-tires.html
Well I plan on getting some 4.10's at some point right now I have 3.42's. It towed 16k in contruction equip just fine several times, just keep it in 5th and below. 6th is a cruising gear and not really got towing. I don't feel as if the eng or trans is struggling in any way, the eng can be pushed hard all day long anyways with little worry. The trans is fine also, gets a little warm at times but nothing major thanks to the 20 different coolers up front lol

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,359 Posts
Excellent tire and reccomended by many on here. They are the best snow and mountain tire out there if you ask me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have the 295/70/R18 ST MAXX's and so far they are great. I have a little over 5,000 miles on them. Very good tire on and off road. I even keep mine aired at 72 PSI and they still provide a good comfortable ride.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well it was between the Goodyear Duratrac and the Cooper's. I'm definately going with the Cooper's now. Better feedback from you guys on them. A little pricier than I thought they would be. $277.00 for an E rated 285/70R 17.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well it was between the Goodyear Duratrac and the Cooper's. I'm definately going with the Cooper's now. Better feedback from you guys on them. A little pricier than I thought they would be. $277.00 for an E rated 285/70R 17.
Make sure to check treaddepot.com and look at the prices. That same size is 242.00. Also your local discount tire will match the price of tread depot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My old man runs ST MAXX 285/70r17 on his 08 mega and loves them. Great tread life, quiet and do great off road. Check out Discount Tire on Ebay, they seem to be very competitive and often have good rebates.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have any idea on how many miles he has on his set I really want a set of these but some of the mileage claims have me on the fence.

·
COAL,GUNS,FREEDOM
2,359 Posts
mileage claims are way to variable. the setup that works for me, may not work for someone else. the type of driving, the gravel material, rotations, speed, heat, use of 4wd, towing/hauling. all play a factor in a tires life. Some tires give you a tread life warranty which is nice.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
The st maxx I have on my truck still working great. 255-80-17s and if they offered tires in 285-75-17 I would have bought those. But seem to be wearing nicely and work very well. Compared to the DuraTracs I tried previously there really is no comparison IMHO. Coopers much better. I will clearly need to get some 4.10 gearing installed before going any bigger in tire size. Can recommend these tires as a great alternative to toyos etc.

They still look a little small and I may go to a 295-70-17 or hopefully they will do a 285-75-17 size someday. Effective gearing with the 255s is around 3.6 vs 3.73 stock with 265-70-17 tires.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Make sure to check treaddepot.com and look at the prices. That same size is 242.00. Also your local discount tire will match the price of tread depot.
Yea I checked them out, but with shipping at came out to almost 100 dollars extra all together. I got them at 270 a piece at my local tire dealer. They are being put on some time today.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have them on a few of our work trucks (f350 6.7 powerstroke) and they are great on tread life but constantly getting stuck in them. They dont clean themselfs very well at all. I would go with the stt`s and get a few less miles if you are using them off road much.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the tires mounted yesterday. They feel a little squishy compared to the BF Goodrich KO that I have been running for the past few year on two different trucks. I have air pressure at 70 in the front and 55 in the back.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They will stiffen up after a couple hundred miles. Tires need time to break in.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have any idea on how many miles he has on his set I really want a set of these but some of the mileage claims have me on the fence.
I want to say he got somewhere in the neighborhood of 50k with regular rotation, not bad if you ask me for a big heavy diesel.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like what I've read on these! It's between these and the Toyo ATII

They amy be my next set on my '14 Thinking of sticking with the OEM size of 275/70-18's

1 - 20 of 151 Posts