Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys dumb question. Which cooler is it that sits in the bottom of the front bumper? That’s the intercooler for the turbo correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just wondering about my temps lately. I was driving yesterday up a long grade on the freeway here in SoCal and my coolant got up to 215 and oil up to 224. Trans stayed right at 167-168 the whole time. Ambient air temp was 102-104 so it was pretty warm. As soon as I get on flat it goes back down to about 195-201 coolant and about 203 oil temp. The dial gauges stayed right in the middle the entire time and it never got hot enough to kick on the big fan. Truck is a 2017 2500 Cummins. It’s on 37s but is regeared to 4:10s

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I would think those temperatures are fine. Is that the first time they have gone that high? Where are you reading the temps? I think oil temp is calculated but I could be wrong. Someone else will know better.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think those temperatures are fine. Is that the first time they have gone that high? Where are you reading the temps? I think oil temp is calculated but I could be wrong. Someone else will know better.
No not the first time. First time we got our 5er and I towed up over the grapevine it got that high too but immediately cooled down at the top again. Yes I have read that the oil temp is calculated. I’m reading them all on the evic

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know these trucks come with a 200 degree thermostat so the fan wouldn’t kick on till they reach about 218

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys so here’s the highest temps I reached climbing a pretty steep grade on our way to the keen river

I’m pulling our 5er that weights 11k lbs and ther was a lot of turns

·
Registered
209 Posts
trans is 168F, coolant 219 & 224, I'd say motor on... If the coolant temp continues to climb then I'd back it down or stop to cool it off. I saw 224 on the coolant briefly in my 2012 2500 going across the Teton pass a couple years ago pulling our travel trailer.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trans is 168F, coolant 219 & 224, I'd say motor on... If the coolant temp continues to climb then I'd back it down or stop to cool it off. I saw 224 on the coolant briefly in my 2012 2500 going across the Teton pass a couple years ago pulling our travel trailer.
Ok so that high oil temp is nothing to worry about then? I know it’s an algorithm and not a real sensor. I am running full synthetic rotella t6 so I know the oil itself can take it

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ok so that high oil temp is nothing to worry about then? I know it’s an algorithm and not a real sensor. I am running full synthetic rotella t6 so I know the oil itself can take it

T6 is full synthetic so it's not impacted until over 300F. These trucks are equipped with an oil cooler so I'd expect the oil temperature to be somewhat close to the coolant temperature... My 2012 does not have an engine oil temp gauge so it's one less thing for me to be OCD about!!! Again I think your good, motor on

If you are extremely concerned shoot the oil pan with an infrared temp gun to see what it reads.

·
Cummins Freak
3,279 Posts
You are fine!! Your fan should be kicking on when the coolant Temps hit 217/218 and cool it back down pretty quick. At the outside temps you are talking about the temps you are seeing is normal, you are running 40-45 mph in 3rd and 4th so drive on and turn the evic back to speedometer!! LOL

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
T6 is full synthetic so it's not impacted until over 300F. These trucks are equipped with an oil cooler so I'd expect the oil temperature to be somewhat close to the coolant temperature... My 2012 does not have an engine oil temp gauge so it's one less thing for me to be OCD about!!! Again I think your good, motor on

If you are extremely concerned shoot the oil pan with an infrared temp gun to see what it reads.
Ok sounds good I’ll look into getting one of those good idea!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You are fine!! Your fan should be kicking on when the coolant Temps hit 217/218 and cool it back down pretty quick. At the outside temps you are talking about the temps you are seeing is normal.
How long is it suppose to stay on for? Because I feel like it only kicks on for a second or 2 then right back off. Just enough to get it back below that 218 mark again

·
Cummins Freak
3,279 Posts
How long is it suppose to stay on for? Because I feel like it only kicks on for a second or 2 then right back off. Just enough to get it back below that 218 mark again

Usually they stay on till it brings it down to 200 on mine but I haven't had my 2018 up to those Temps yet so I'm just going by my past trucks!! At those outside temps it will struggle to bring the temps down with much of a load but Might want to get your fan clutch checked out......

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Usually they stay on till it brings it down to 200 on mine but I haven't had my 2018 up to those Temps yet so I'm just going by my past trucks!! At those outside temps it will struggle to bring the temps down with much of a load but Might want to get your fan clutch checked out......
Sure hope that thing hasn’t gone out already. It’s only a 2017 with 27k miles

·
Cummins Freak
3,279 Posts
Sure hope that thing hasn’t gone out already. It’s only a 2017 with 27k miles

Maybe they have changed the programming on them?? Hopefully someone that tows more can chime in!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ya but I do appreciate the input! Anything helps! I read that the earlier trucks have a 190 thermostat so maybe that’s why you trucks different

1 - 20 of 22 Posts