Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna do a coolant flush today on my truck. I noticed the coolant that is currently in the truck is a silicon base. So I know it needs to be flushed. This will be my first time doing a coolant flush on my cummins. Just wondering if anyone has pointers and the best coolant to use.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a red coolant and when I pulled the cap on the radiator there was little brownish silicon pieces. And when I bought the truck last year it had a GM coolant bottle in the bed of the truck so I just put 2&2 together. GM runs a silicone based coolant and I was told that was bad for cummins

·
Rescue Tower
10,810 Posts
Meh... I doubt it would cause any issues. Cummins recomends HOAT. Flushing is a PITA to do it right. All day deal with lots and lots and lots of water. I drain the coolant instal a modified thermostat that is open. Fill with water run for just a few minutes to try and dilute the existing coolant a little further. Drain that then I add dissolved citric acid and water. Let that run for at least 30 mintues (more is better) with the radiator blocked off. Then drain that... fill with water and powdered dishwashing detergent and run for 30 mins. Finally I fill with water, then drain and repeat until I have nothing but clean water running out. Then I replace with new thermostat and top off with HOAT. This is an over the top cleaning, and it takes all day. You may not need to go to this extreme.

Reactions: 907aumick
1 - 5 of 5 Posts