Cummins Diesel Forum banner

coolant temps too high and cold heat

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  CatDiezel 
#1 ·
I noticed an older thread where someone said their coolant temps were jumping all over and cold air was coming out when the heat was put on. It was said he may have a pocket of air somewhere in his lines and that he should bleed the system out. Well I had both problems, with the heat blowing freezing cold air and coolant temps rising way over what they should be as soon as I noticed it go maybe 10 or 20 degrees over average I immediately turned the truck off and in my driveway it sat. I noticed some splatter of some sort under the hood and what I think was the smell of coolant. Also noticed my over fill tank was abnormally low. Finally, a week later I got around to going to the dealer, picked up some coolant, filled er up, started the motor, and then when I went to unscrew the air/coolant bleed screw, absolutely nothing came out. I also heard a squeeking as if one of the belts needed belt dressing...but the squeeking stopped so I'm not entirely sure its related, could be way off though. I waited for the motor to get a little warm and backed out the screw again with nothing to show still. By the time my truck is a little warm, the heat works warm to hot, I turned the heat on and it was still blowing out cold air. What do you guys think the problem is? I mean its all under warranty but I won't be able to get an appointment for at least another week and if its something simple or there's something more I can do to diagnose, please tell me. Could this possibly be a problem with my water pump? Thanks in advance for any comments, suggestions, and/or help!

-alex

See less See more
#2 ·
Geebo I have no input on this but am curious on the possibilities , on the heat output a stuck thermostat is usually the culprit .

#3 ·
By the time my truck is a little warm, the heat works warm to hot, I turned the heat on and it was still blowing out cold air.
If you could clean up what you are saying it might be easier to help. One sec you say the heat comes out warm/hot but you turn the heat on and it blows cold.

Based on what I could understand, it just sounds like you need to put more fluid in the radiator. Don't bother with the overlow tank until you get your radiator filled. You may have to squeeze some of the radiator tubing to help push air out and around. Then afetr it looks full, put the cap on and take it for a nice drive to get the truck warmed up and the fluid moving around. Take it home and let it cool down a bit to the point you can safely pop open the radiator cap. Top it off as needed. Then fill your overflow as required

The squeeking you heard was probably the water pump. If there is any leaking fluids on or around the pump, it probably needs replaced.

#4 ·
sounds like a bad thermostat to me. For the cost of a stat it is cheap insurance just to change it out. They are super easy on these trucks and the stats are cheap too. If it did go out and then overheated enough to hear a squeekinf from the waterpump you probably toasted the seal on it too

Chris

#5 ·
Your coolant level is low. The problem with this, is why??? I had a blown headgasket issue.
Might want to have a look see into this.

Reactions: MorSmokPls
#6 ·
And the squeeking sounds like it is from the antifreeze that could have dripped on the belts. This has happened in my boat when I spilled some on the belts while filling the radiator.

#11 ·
You are too young and immature to understand that a large percentage of the single one hit wonder posters are trolls stirring siht up.

If YOU let my Internet comments get the best of you to the point where you almost feel compelled to try and throttle me in person. I suggest asking your mother to switch laundry detergent.

Just wondering what you have to contribute to anything besides a lousy uneducated guess?

I might be harsh but there is alot of blind leading the blind here.

#12 ·
Ha I find it comical how you want to ask what I have to contribute, when in all actuality I help people from time to time. Someone can scroll through your past posts and see that you are one of the "trolls" you speak of that just stir chit up in any thread you post on.

As for your comment, "getting the best of me," I can't say that you've gotten a rile out me yet, not really worth my time to really get worked up over a petty "cumminsforum troll" I just like to let some people know my thoughts.

As for my detergent, sorry to let you know, but I live alone, and mother lives about 300 miles away, but I always thought i was doing pretty well with the Tide cold-water :confused013:

Ha I'll stop now though so that maybe the OP can get some info...My apologies to him

#14 ·
I'll tell ya what... I'm due in Odessa, Tx sometime in June....

I'll keep ya in mind and well meet up at my favorite bar, it's on the bad side of town so you may need a permission slip. Bring your HOG though....

It'll be fun, people on that side of town are so friendly!!!

Lol

#17 ·
From what I have read in many posts those symptoms seem to be pretty common with a blown head gasket. I'm not saying thats the problem, but if you research blown headgasket you might be able compare your problem with others and see if thats what your problem is. Hopefully not though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.