Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if I have an issue or not...

So my coolant temp (dash and cts II) will rise with boost if I have over 10psi for anything greater than 5 seconds or so... Not much though.. I have a 190f stat and usually it'll run 188-189 at idle... 191-192 at 70mph at 2-3psi and then rise to as much as 196-197 if I get on it and run >10psi of boost, ie moderately accelerating from a stop. It quickly drops back down. I've bled the system via cap and bleed scew in the stand pipe and I am fairly confident of that. There is no puking into the overflow and upper hose is firm but not rock hard. EGTs are not excessive and I haven't had a long enough pull to see over 950f.

Before I surmise it's the head gasket, I would like a high degree if confidence in that. Anything else to check or signs/symptoms? Or is minor temp flux normal?

Mods include EFILive although never used above 60hp tune, ARP 425s, full deletes, and other minor bolt ons.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the regular 200 tstat in and the times that I do get on the pedal, I have seen the coolant level rise up to 215ish but then it will steadily drop back down once the turbo slows. This has been routine on my truck and I am constantly under the hood check oil and fluid levels, no coolant loss and no apparent coolant leaks

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
7deg temp swing. Sounds pretty good to me.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My thermostat behaves just like yours (same temp range) and has for four years now with no issues at all. That fluctuation is quite normal. I'd say you're good to go :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kinda relieved I suppose... for some reason I thought my temps were rock steady before... I guess with the CTS I was paying attention more.

Gauges don't do a whole lot of good unless you know what to look for... :doh:

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
Kinda relieved I suppose... for some reason I thought my temps were rock steady before... I guess with the CTS I was paying attention more.

Gauges don't do a whole lot of good unless you know what to look for... :doh:
Digital can fool the brain, as every degree of change so do those #s.
On an analog guage. 7deg would be a needle width or two.
Not much to catch the eye. LOL
If you think about how well your truck absorbs the heat. You would be sitting at say 350 or 400° on your pyrometer and then jump up to 800 or a 1000 on exeleration burning that extra fuel. Thats quite a few degrees for such a large heatsink. 7° is nothing added to that coolant. It's a big animal that moves pretty darn quick. Have that beer and enjoy your next ride tomorrow.:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts