Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, new to the forum and to my truck. I have a 06 5.9 and i was thinking of draining the radiator, then taking out the thermostat, hooking back up the filler neck empty, refilling the radiator with distilled water, start the truck, open the radiator drain and pour more distilled water in through the top as goes back out the bottom for maybe 3 to 5 gal or what ever to try to clear as much of the old coolant from the engine as i can. Then shut it down, drain enough water to add back straight HOAT antifreeze to have the correct mix put in new 190° cummins thremostat. Will this work? Any better solutions? Thank you

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
That will work. I normally pre mix my water and coolant and then fill up the cooling system.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
good plan , BUT that lil drain valve on the rad is useless small and might break / leak afterwards. Just my findings .

Just pull the lower rad hose ( be carefull) and let her rip , let nature take its course . I know the lower hose is up a lil bit from the bottom rad tank , but life goes on .

Best way to drain the engine , pull the water pump . Most of the coolant dumps out . Easy as pie on older cummins , but Much tighter area on the 3rd gen electronically controlled fan gizmo.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If you want to get all the coolant out there are block drains on the passenger side of the engine. I believe they use a metric Allan socket.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you want to get all the coolant out there are block drains on the passenger side of the engine. I believe they use a metric Allan socket.
What goes back on the threads to seal them? RTV? Which color?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts