Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a coolant smell it seems since new, never have really addressed it. Never had to add coolant, but can still smell coolant in my garage after shutting it down. Its had the water pump recall, and actually seemed a bit stronger smell after the recall.

I see no visible leaks on the garage floor ,or on the motor. Its pretty crazy getting this smell although no loss of coolant. This truck has 48K on it ,tows a heavy fifth wheel, no overheating, nothing. Its a pretty strong smell of coolant .

Got a summer long trip to Alaska starting in early June, would like to get to the bottom of this before that. Anyone have any idea what it could be ??. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Look real close at the top of reservoir especially the hose is that permanently clamped that goes to the radiator my 13 weeped there could barely see it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look real close at the top of reservoir especially the hose is that permanently clamped that goes to the radiator my 13 weeped there could barely see it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Thanks, I will take a look, it was also mentioned on a different forum , could possibly be a EGR leak, need to pull the cover ,and take a look there also. If I have a leak somewhere its got to be a very minimal leak or you would think I would start seeing some loss of coolant at some point, this is a nearly six year old truck. :frown2: The most puzzling is how strong the smell is, you would think something would show .

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
You got the 2 radiator system and the Y pipe. Mine cracked and you probably do also. Mine was covered by my Max Care. There are also some Alu aftermarket ones. My first clue was the smell, no drips, just some dry color on it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had a very small seep on the side of the block right to left of the oil filter. Was a little plug there that was loose.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got the 2 radiator system and the Y pipe. Mine cracked and you probably do also. Mine was covered by my Max Care. There are also some Alu aftermarket ones. My first clue was the smell, no drips, just some dry color on it.

Thanks . Thats the first thing I checked its clean as a whistle, no dry color, nothing. That was my first thought, but this has gone on a long time. Never was too worried, but this long trip coming up I would like to get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
Get it pressure tested hot and cold. If you're not loosing coolant then it probably isn't leaking any.

·
Registered
3,298 Posts
If you still have the original plastic Y's I would replace them befor the big trip.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get it pressure tested hot and cold. If you're not loosing coolant then it probably isn't leaking any.

Looking a little closer at my coolant level , its been a bit deceiving , the coolant obviously stains the coolant reservoir. I just took the cap off , and the level is pretty close , or just slightly below the minimum mark with the engine cold . . The minimum ,and the maximum level marks appear to be only inch or slightly less then a inch apart. So at this point if there is some coolant loss its minimal .

I watched the last part of my water pump recall, they had caught the coolant, and all that was replaced was what was in the pan that they drained out . I have never added any ,just always looked at the coolant and seen the high water mark so to speak , being the discoloration of the coolant tank, my bad. Its hard to believe every drop that drained out ,got back in there .

Although the coolant level is right at the minimum level, and I can see no signs anywhere of a leak, I am going to keep an eye on it . I may add just some distilled water ,and get it to the maximum level, that cannot be much. Then go from there.

If things change I will get it pressure checked . To me its still pretty strange, and the strong coolant smell after it has been running, and its warmed up .

·
Registered
282 Posts
The tank on my 2015 CTD came apart at the seam. Take a real close look at the seam itself and look for signs of coolant migrating from the tank to outside. Mine was seeping ever so slightly until I ran her hard one day and then it split at the seam and spewed coolant all over the righthand side of the engine compartment. The tank has been replaced and the coolant level has remained constant but even after 3 months the truck still smells of antifreeze. :frown2:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The tank on my 2015 CTD came apart at the seam. Take a real close look at the seam itself and look for signs of coolant migrating from the tank to outside. Mine was seeping ever so slightly until I ran her hard one day and then it split at the seam and spewed coolant all over the righthand side of the engine compartment. The tank has been replaced and the coolant level has remained constant but even after 3 months the truck still smells of antifreeze. :frown2:

I did notice it more after the water pump recall, but its been nearly a year and half since the recall was done .

I have checked about everywhere I can think of ,and where thats been mentioned. No clue. There is no smell after the truck has cooled down, and just sitting in the garage for awhile .

·
Registered
207 Posts
My '13 has always had a faint smell of coolant near the grill after driving. If there is a leak, it is so minimal that the coolant has never dropped. Water pump has been replaced and the y-pipe cracked but were repaired.

·
Registered
812 Posts
If all the above checks fail, look for an evaporative leak. I had this on my 2013 Hemi, it is where the coolant leaks and evaporates leaving no tell-tail signs except for the smell of coolant. I took the truck into the dealer several times, they topped off the coolant and said they couldn't find a leak.

My son put in a coolant dye and after a few weeks, took a look with a black light and bang, there it was, the thermostat housing was not torqued properly and coolant was leaking and boiling off leaving the smell without the trace of a leak.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If all the above checks fail, look for an evaporative leak. I had this on my 2013 Hemi, it is where the coolant leaks and evaporates leaving no tell-tail signs except for the smell of coolant. I took the truck into the dealer several times, they topped off the coolant and said they couldn't find a leak.

My son put in a coolant dye and after a few weeks, took a look with a black light and bang, there it was, the thermostat housing was not torqued properly and coolant was leaking and boiling off leaving the smell without the trace of a leak.

Thanks . I will check that for torque . Its baffling . 48K miles never added a drop, as said can always smell coolant after shutdown in the garage. I have looked everywhere I can see. Everything is clean. The coolant level is pretty close to the minimum mark, but the difference between the maximum mark ,and minimum is not much . I assume the level is supposed to be checked when its cold ??

·
White Lightning
12,018 Posts
Thanks . I will check that for torque . Its baffling . 48K miles never added a drop, as said can always smell coolant after shutdown in the garage. I have looked everywhere I can see. Everything is clean. The coolant level is pretty close to the minimum mark, but the difference between the maximum mark ,and minimum is not much . I assume the level is supposed to be checked when its cold ??
Did you get that MENTION I sent you?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts