Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a coolant filter, and based on what I thought, and was told, at the time I plumbed it the way I did. I have the "pressure" coming from the head, and the "return" going to the block. I also recently realized that the flow of coolant is from the block, thru the head, and back to the pump, or radiator... So I am wondering if my filter is filtering backwords?

So can anyone help confirm or deny this? Is the pressure in the head or the block greater?

Thanks

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
i would agree that it comes from the block first then through the head, i would think that preassure would be about the same between the 2 as the thermostat is based off of pressure created by heat. just my 2 c

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the pressure is different as the filter gets hot...

I have decided to replumb it thru the heater core return. I think most the time the pressure in the head is lower, but under certain high hp, high heat situations I think it could be higher in the head as the coolant may be 20* or more warmer in the head.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I know the pressure is different as the filter gets hot...

I have decided to replumb it thru the heater core return. I think most the time the pressure in the head is lower, but under certain high hp, high heat situations I think it could be higher in the head as the coolant may be 20* or more warmer in the head.

AH64ID what kind of filter did you used? any installed pics?

·
Hide your cats!
5,106 Posts
little off topic but how/what did you do for that H D cai

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you plum the return into the heater core return, doesn't that re-enter the block below the t-stat? Would you get enough pressure differential there to get good flow?

I was thinking about keeping the same tie in point, and drilling/tapping the water neck above the thermostat for the return. Might need a restriction to prevent too much flow and slow warm up time?

How do you plan on connecting to the heater core return?

·
Master of Mayhem NASFIG
8,808 Posts
the coolant filter is under the thermostats on my big truck where the coolant comes from the radiator and off the block

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
little off topic but how/what did you do for that H D cai
A piece of 3" PVC and a toilet bowl flange thru the bottom of the OE Intake box.. It works really good, filter minder quit moving and the IAT's dropped a deg or two.

If you plum the return into the heater core return, doesn't that re-enter the block below the t-stat? Would you get enough pressure differential there to get good flow?

I was thinking about keeping the same tie in point, and drilling/tapping the water neck above the thermostat for the return. Might need a restriction to prevent too much flow and slow warm up time?

How do you plan on connecting to the heater core return?
Thats the same way the heater core is plumbed, so it will flow plenty. I re-plumbed it last night and it warms up much faster than the way it was previously plumbed.

I didn't want to "T" into the return in the first place because the area is small and the fittings are large, but it actually fit quite nicely and should have done it that way from the start.

·
Registered
216 Posts

·
Registered
10,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I actually don't know, but since coolant is 40-50% water I doubt its paper.

·
Premium Member
16,040 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts