Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been losing coolant lately. About a quart every two days. Truck runs great. No white smoke. Top and sides of engine are dry but the bottom of engine on oil pan/transmission are wet. I've been looking at this for days and can't find a leak even with engine running. I don't think its the head gasket but you never know. Are there any spots that are a common area for these 12 valves to leak coolant? The oil is in good shape. Changed it a week ago and its still brown. No coolant in the oil. Thanks

·
Registered
55 Posts
It might not be related to wet spots on the engine but I"ve had to replace radiators on two of the 2nd gens I've owned. Both were at the joint where the core and plastic endtank met down low on the drivers side. Both of them must have had very small cracks that would open and close with the expanding plastic. Took several months before I actually saw a wet spot on the radiator on both units. Never did blow back much further than the front diff down low but might be worth checking. If you need a radiator I purchased mine from these folks on ebay. Even though it says "V8" the picture and measurements of the core are correct. The unit I was shipped was an aluminum core, plastic tank Silla brand and was a few dollars more than this listing

DODGE RAM 2500 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 5.9 RADIATOR*:eBay Motors (item 250405442566 end time Dec-07-09 10:34:59 PST)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to track it down. Does anybody know if theres a coolant line above the starter on the block? it looks like 2 90 degree fitings with a rubber line connecting the two. Thats where there was the most fluid.

Its all drivers side on the back of the engine on the oil pan and transmission.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't think there is a coolant line on that side that far back. I think it is possible to have an external head gasket leak (external to the engine) that does not involve any cross contamination between oil and coolant. I know I had one on a 6.9 Ford diesel I had that took forever to find, losing coolant but no cross contamination. The amount I was losing was similar to what you mention. I think I've read about that on these forums but never had it happen to me. The only way I found it on the 6.9 was I stopped on the side of the road for something else while the truck was running, and had been running for a hour or so, and found the drip. You might search head gasket here and see what folks say about resulting external leaks

·
Registered
155 Posts
i recently just had the same proble... it was the water pump, you can see where it was coming out of the weep hole in the water pump

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. ill have to check that out.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Could be the cooler on the pass side of the block, mine only leaked under preasure

1 - 7 of 7 Posts