Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I had a coolant leak 6 months ago and it stopped before I could pinpoint (couldn't even measure missing quantity). Now it's back. I'm having a hard time locating it. Mostly coming from passenger side and dripping on front of block, onto oil pan and continuing to the ground. I was thinking water pump but just cannot see what's going on. After thread searches here it seems like there's a coolant bypass (?) or some sort of hose on the passenger side that a lot of guys have remedied just by tightening or replacing clamps. Of those 2 (pump vs. hose), which could be leaking with engine off? When I noticed the drip today it may have already been "done" due to pressure bleed down - but there was no pressure release when I popped the radiator cap. Missing a bit of coolant for sure (1-2"). Overflow tank is at normal level. Still not sure whether it's gravity or residual pressure causing the drip. Bizarre thing is I saw a little drip 6 days ago at home. Parked at the airport 5 days, nothing on the pavement. Not even a stain of dried a coolant. Back in the driveway (slightly nose high compared to level at airport), I'd say 2-4 oz of coolant puddled when I came out 2 hours after shutdown. There is no unusual noise or vibration from the pump, and operating temp has been normal even with 114 degree days. Today it was around 90 outside and it was the biggest drip I have seen. Taking a trip soon and need to get this figured out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
More than likely it's coming from the weap hole on the water pump. Just replace the pump.

·
Registered
476 Posts
In my experience, water pumps leak when they cool down (engine is cold). When the engine is running, they normally don't leak (of course, this is when they FIRST start to fail).

So, yeah - water pump, like those other guys already told you :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, running off to get a pump right now. I couldn't find any tutorials for the pump R & R here (yes, I know I need manuals!). The one I found on you tube sucked because the guy disassembled everything first. Know where I can find a good step-by-step description?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Pull the belt off, and pull fan schroud off, Match up bolts with a socket, (cant remember size) and pull the 2 bolts out, pull water pump out carefully, then put new one in the same way it came out, bolt up and put everything back together. I would print out a diagram of your belt before taking it off.

Very simple. But dont drive it untill you get the radiator 100% full, then start it up and let water go into the water jackets, then open cap and fill again, then full the coolant tank. Its one of the easiest things to do on these trucks

Reactions: zippinbye

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Water pump done last night. Would have been an hour or so, except 1) the passenger side water pump bolt was very difficult to thread for some reason, 2) the pump came with the wrong O-ring - had to do the job twice when it leaked like a tap. Reused the old one since it was 11:00 pm an I needed to gittr done, and 3) getting my 1/2" drive with a push-button socket release on and of the belt tensioned was tough. Getting the serpentine back one was probably the biggest challenge. With a helper it would have been ease.

Thanks for the tip everybody.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.