Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped here, my '11 has been having issues for months now.
I will warm up just fine, have heat, fan isn't running high all is working properly and after warm up I will lose heat and my temp will start to rise as high as 260 then drop right down to 190 or 200. I will be low on coolant and my overflow will be overflowing....
Upper radiator hose will have pressure
No heat in cab
Engine fan on full blast no matter what temp it is

To temp. fix it i will; while engine running, pull the cap off releasing the pressure into the overflow and fill it with coolant. It will fix the problem for a day or two.

after taking it to the stealership they told me it is my EGR cooler leaking into the exhaust. I had an EGR delete but the cooler was still there just blocked.
Two nights ago I pulled the cooler off and put the AFE kit on. Using the plug style which I dont like but i couldnt come up with a way to make my own at hose at the time.

While I filled the coolant up i burped it threw the release on the line going to the EGR.

Basically the issue is me losing coolant to the overflow, then blowing it out after it fills up.

I don't think my head gasket is blown, no coolant in oil, no oil in coolant. No other HG like symptons.
Also my truck will hold a good amount of pressure in the upper hose for as long as I can tell, hours...
HELP PLEASE!

Registered
Coolant blowing out of the overflow tank is a very likely sign on these trucks of a failed headgasket.

Cowboy AKA Equality State
Sounds like a head gasket to me. Symptoms vary greatly depending where the failure actually occurred.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other options?? One thing that I am trying to figure out is why my upper radiator hose is holding pressure even when ice cold. I have no coolant in oil or visa versa

Registered
Any other options?? One thing that I am trying to figure out is why my upper radiator hose is holding pressure even when ice cold. I have no coolant in oil or visa versa
Thats a HG for sure. Sorry for the bad news. What programmer, what power levels, timing and if any defuels being used? Defuels will be on a H and S tuner only.

Registered
Your cylinders are a Air reciever holding tank. Rad cap will hold up to 18 psi. Lots of volume in your cylinder under pressure keeping your rad hose firm when cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts