Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is a coolant bypass a necessity in these trucks? Who has one and what do you think about it? I have a diesel mechanic friend that said it would be a good upgrade to install. What exactly is its purpose? Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
Are you talking about a bypass filter system? I have one on mine. The first filter change was nasty. Think if all that stuff going through your water pump.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
it cannot hurt and i believe it became popular with the light duty truck market with the solutions to the 6.0 power stroke. if i had endless amounts of money i would spend some on a coolant bypass for my truck.

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
So is a coolant bypass a necessity in these trucks? Who has one and what do you think about it? I have a diesel mechanic friend that said it would be a good upgrade to install. What exactly is its purpose? Thanks for any input, I appreciate it.

Mike
Wait...your diesel mechanic friend told you it was a good upgrade but didn't/couldn't tell you why???

It's for sure a good way to spend money, but it's far from necessary. My 521K mile truck has done without anything like that, and will continue to in the future.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts

Mike
Wait...your diesel mechanic friend told you it was a good upgrade but didn't/couldn't tell you why???.
I was kinda wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have one it’s amazing water temp went down 15 degrees off the bat, can’t get my truck hot. It’s more practical to those highly modified, the stock design is bad after you install the bypass and see how much safer you can make the motor, but most stock or mild performance trucks just never get hot enough to melt 4-5 or 6 so Cummins gets away with it.But pay attention when guys damage pistons, cylinders it’s always the ones in the back. The bypass eliminates that possible issue, for 350$ that’s cheap Insurance. Why have your coolant flow down a no outlet rd to stop and have to back out when you can build a bridge across and make a complete circle!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mike
Wait...your diesel mechanic friend told you it was a good upgrade but didn't/couldn't tell you why???

It's for sure a good way to spend money, but it's far from necessary. My 521K mile truck has done without anything like that, and will continue to in the future.

Yes he can tell me why! But rather than post his opinion I'd rather start fresh and get everyone else's thoughts. But thanks for your input anyway.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya know I appreciate everyone's help, but if you don't have any knowledge on the product I'm asking about than don't comment. Move on to the next post. I know and I'm sure everyone on this site knows you have 512k miles on your truck(because you comment on every post whether you have something productive to say or not). It is not deleted! It is unmolested! It is the best truck in the world. But I wasn't asking about that. I was asking about a coolant bypass if you don't have practical knowledge about the subject at hand than don't respond just to get your post count up! I don't come here for bullsh*t drama I come here for knowledge period!

·
Registered
13,693 Posts
Ya know I appreciate everyone's help, but if you don't have any knowledge on the product I'm asking about than don't comment. Move on to the next post. I know and I'm sure everyone on this site knows you have 512k miles on your truck(because you comment on every post whether you have something productive to say or not). It is not deleted! It is unmolested! It is the best truck in the world. But I wasn't asking about that. I was asking about a coolant bypass if you don't have practical knowledge about the subject at hand than don't respond just to get your post count up! I don't come here for bullsh*t drama I come here for knowledge period!
Sounds like you're full of bullsh*t already so I guess you'd know.

Don't like the responses you get? Then don't post stupid questions.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You interject your bull on every post. Look if you have something productive to say than I appreciate your input. But you spew bull on every post whether its relevant or not! I asked about a coolant bypass. I didn't ask whether you personally had one. If I did I would have sent you a pm. I was asking for information from someone that had actual knowledge about the subject at hand. If you don't have any, don't respond its that easy!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I plugged the HWS to the egr cooler, capped the standpipe and drilled out the heater HWS nipple to 3/8". I checked temps, front and rear and there was no difference, even when towing. No need for a bypass for me. Drilling out the heater nipple dropped the jacket pressure 10 psi. Craig

·
Registered
151 Posts
You interject your bull on every post. Look if you have something productive to say than I appreciate your input. But you spew bull on every post whether its relevant or not! I asked about a coolant bypass. I didn't ask whether you personally had one. If I did I would have sent you a pm. I was asking for information from someone that had actual knowledge about the subject at hand. If you don't have any, don't respond its that easy!

LOL buddy don’t worry about the guys who got their own issues and use you as a scape goat. One way or another I’ve been on this forum for over a decade and believe it or not when it first started and we had 12 valves there was some good people on here. There’s still a few don’t get me wrong, but we live in a social media world now where guys are tougher than they have ever been. And don’t have any good answers, I get the good joke now and then I’m guilty myself but when it’s not funny anymore it’s time to move on. Then the 24 valves and lastly the 6.7’a
Popped up and we had the headgaskets left and right that’s where I miss the Ryan Millikan days when he was breaking ground on what these 6.7’s could do and piecing together 2nd gen swaps and giving everyone step by step inf. Anyway feel free to Pm I run a fleece coolant bypass, I can let ya know everything I know about it and real world numbers and effects.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Mike
You asked a question and you didn't like the answers you got? You got advice from your mechanic friend but you would rather come here and get opinions from non professional mechanics? :confused013:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Mike
You asked a question and you didn't like the answers you got? You got advice from your mechanic friend but you would rather come here and get opinions from non professional mechanics?

Yes I would like more than one opinion and/or review. I'm not sure about you but I like to gather as much information as I can before I jump on anything. I like to do research on everything I do. I thought this was supposed to be somewhere for people to ask such questions! Maybe things have changed. And like I stated before rather than waste your time responding with nothing relevant to the question go to the next post. I'm looking for info on a coolant bypass not a sarcastic response about my question. So just move on!

·
Registered
356 Posts
A friend has a 2016, and has gone through 2 EGR coolers due to dirty coolant so he has added a coolant filter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well I have the stainless diesel bypass. Works off pressure. Vers temp only. Do I need it? I have no idea. I can't say I've noticed anything. But I don't tow or do any kind of work with my truck. I've done several mods. Just cuz I wanted to. I think if you have money to blow there are better options than a water bypass. One mod that does work that you might look into is the revmax trans thermal bypass. Dropped my trans temps like 40ish degrees. Or put money into a good valve body. Maybe you already have idk. Just think it's money better spent elsewhere.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,740 Posts

Let me guess. . .

* Your grocery-getter is a car, not a one ton diesel truck.
* Your truck is seldom driven anywhere unloaded.
* I'd also venture to say that at no time is your vehicle operated with EGT's much below 800F.

Funny how operating a vehicle in the manner it was designed for automatically creates longevity...
(without the need for all the bolt-on after-market magic).
-Ej- :stirpot:

·
Registered
765 Posts
^^^ Squad 2, That is why you need to take measurements to see if there is even a problem, and often, there's easy cheap fixes instead of paying way too much for worthless aftermarket crap. I plugged my egr water and jacket psi went to 63 so I drilled out the heater nipple to 3/8" and it dropped to 53. All I did was go back to the old configuration that has worked fine for many decades, before cooled egr. I put a submerged TC in the back head plug and saw no higher temp than at the front, even when towing hard, so no bypass needed. Two weeks ago I got to checking air filter W.C. and I ended up taking the BD Rapid Flow CAI off that the PO put on and I cut it up and recycled the plastic. That intake was a HUGE step backwards! OTOH, exhaust mods do the most good, especially the manifold and turbo. Measure and see if you if you need anything first and beware of hype and untested/unproven junk! Craig

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yes I would like more than one opinion and/or review. I'm not sure about you but I like to gather as much information as I can before I jump on anything. I like to do research on everything I do. I thought this was supposed to be somewhere for people to ask such questions! Maybe things have changed. And like I stated before rather than waste your time responding with nothing relevant to the question go to the next post. I'm looking for info on a coolant bypass not a sarcastic response about my question. So just move on!
Move on? Nah, it's more fun to see people like you blow a gasket when they don't get the answers they want. >:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts