Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anybody has heard and used products from Mayhem Metal Works. I have searched the forum for them, and could not find anything.

I am looking at there coolant bypass kit:

https://mayhemmetalworks.net/products/copy-of-1998-present-cummins-5-9-6-7-24-valve-common-rail-dodge-ram-cooling-system-water-bypass-kit

I know there are others out there, but they require the removal of the freeze plug on the back of the motor.

Pros/Cons to this kit????

What is everybody thought???

·
Registered
572 Posts
I did a my own using the billet thermostat spacer supplied by other vendors. You can buy the pressure relief valve they are showing in this kit from a good plumbing supplier. I am using the same one. That said, that is a decent price for everything needed in one kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So did you order it or make one? Sounds like no one has one of these, which is surprising. I too was thinking about ordering this kit for my ‘02 Dodge. Looks like a well made kit, the price is decent compared to other pre-fabbed kits and the owner claims he’s been making them since the ‘90s. 😳

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought one from metal mayhem no leaks so far been 4 months. I still don’t think I’m using the right thermostat

2,539 Posts
I've had few different coolant bypass's on my engine over the years. These were a big deal in a early common rail days but I don't see many guys running them lately.

Started with the original Motorsports/Wicked Diesel ooolant bypass. It was the one with the big "block" of aluminum for the large bypass valve.
It was a super nice piece but the bypass valve spring was really low. It gave me warmup issues in cold weather but it was fantastic all other times.

It was mounted nice but it was tight when I went to twin turbos.
Then I went to a kit a person was selling on this forum and still have it. It's very similar to the Mayhem diesel kit.

Mayhem Diesel coolant bypass kit:US$180.

I now see Motorsport diesel has completely re-designed their coolant bypass and it's pricey at US$349.

The popular Fleece kit which uses a rear thermosta is pricey and complicated. US$376

The Fleece kit does replace that rear block freeze plug. Way back when, that freeze plug was popping out on the modified engines.
I do strongly recommend some kind of plate over that plug.
If that freeze plug pops out or starts to leak, you are going to have a really bad day.

I'm using a super old plate that another member was making and selling on this forum.

·
Trying to learn
5,182 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Agree with everything said above. The Mayhem kit will get the job done, or if you want to save yourself another hundred bucks, you can build yourself the same kit for probably about $50 using the regulator that CDT said. Search for DIY coolant bypass and you'll find a few threads.

I used to run a DIY kit and it worked just fine and did what it needed to. However I started to become worried about the rear freeze plug popping, and decided to just go with the Fleece kit. Putting it on with the motor in the truck is an absolute pain, but it looks nice, and I'm now worry free about the rear plug.

Again, any kit you pick will work well, just depends on what your goals are. The Mayhem kit seems to be priced accordingly for what you're getting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts