Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BD special that is bad . The only prob is the EGT's @1k-1400 jus cruising @70mph. 20-40 psi. Will 90+ hp injectors help cool? Or do I need methol injection? :confused013:

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
Injectors will likely make it worse. Water meth is also not your solution, as you have a problem which that will not solve. What that problem is, remains to be determined apparently. Although now that I look closer you have a 14" lift and 40's which is definately part of the problem. You need more air to keep things cooler. Get a bigger intercooler.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had the stock charger the EGT's were in normal range. The special charger is awesome jus need to cool it down. Or lite it sooner? May need new BHAF filter? Intercooler and intake possibly.:banghead:

·
Banned
5,596 Posts
What is the possibility that you are leaking air out somewhere? This could be causing the higher EGT's. Maybe a hose tore during install somewhere or..........?

·
Registered
305 Posts
That is slightly laggy turbo, but your temps are WAY too high crusing at 70mph. Is that flat ground cruise speeds? Wow.

I think that maybe you have a wastegate that is bypassing drive pressure. (Like not sealing up like it should)

Do you see any cruising boost? When you jump on it do the EGTS skyrocket then start coming back down as the boost starts to come up? What are your RPMS at when you are cruising at 70mph? IF you are not seeing any boost on your gauge at 70mph, at what speed do you start to see constant boost (even 3 or 5 psi) while driving.

A long time ago I had a HTT 62/71/13ss that had one of the wastegates that were messed up from the factory. It would kind of do what you are experiencing, high cruise EGTs and slow to spool up below 1800 rpms. The replacement ran 250* cooler on the freeway, would show about 2-3psi on the gauge at 65-70mph, and would spool at about 1700rpms. HTT Said the wastegate was weak, and was allowing drive pressure to get by ALL The time, no matter how much it was adjusted.

Just my experience. Sorry for the novel. I am so bored at work today!

I don't see 1400 towing at 70mph half the time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jus for s and grins. Should or could I get a adjustable WG elbow for the Special? Or would I have to change out the entire WG? :confused013:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Jus for s and grins. Should or could I get a adjustable WG elbow for the Special? Or would I have to change out the entire WG? :confused013:
Boost elbow you mean? I think just for "s" and grins you would be better off just pinching the wastegate hose closed to test that theory, rather than spending any money (not that the elbows are expensive) but hey free is better sometimes. Pinch it closed and report a differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts