Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Converting the 06 to 09 Steering

3038 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  mibgron
I have heard that converting to the 2009 steering is an easy and great upgrade. I have though about purchasing the new 2009 steering from the dealer. Only thing I don'[t know what is different and what I should buy. All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

I have a 2006 dodge 2500 6in rough country lift.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
8,859 Posts
from a 07.5-08 to 09 the only differnce that I know of for 100% sure is the pitman arm, my truck had to sit for a week after I got the lift because the pitman arm was different. When I bought my 07.5 right when they first came out the 06, 5.9 kit fit it fine.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need to do some more research. Right now i have a lot of bump steer. Also the tie rod that atteched to the pitman arm is wore out. So I figure maybe I would do this upgrade.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is what i learned: Basically in 09 Dodge changed the steering to a better design. This should be the part # you need to order from dodge and it bolts right in.

69039930AA Cost about $87 bucks.

This system will give you better tire wear, more stability, and is more heavy duty.

And Hay, can you ask for anything more? :thumbsup:

· Registered
800 Posts
Find a dealer going out of business with that part is stock. It will be the cheapest price ever.
I saw on the news that the dealers have 3 weeks to sell all the vehicles and parts that they have in stock.
A $34,000 300 is priced at $22,000.

· Registered
56 Posts
Just looked at another thread that is saying there may be a recall on the 09 style steering setup. Looks way more beefy though. The bump steer problem on mine was a shot steering box. Put in the new box and it drives like new again. Don't pay more than $200 for a remanufactured one, I even found one for as cheap as $135.

· Registered
12 Posts
Will the 09 steering setup work in my 04? I've replaced everything, steering box, pitman, drag link, tie rod and all ends, ball joints, hubs, and trac bar and I still have problems. I was looking at that Thuren kit but maybe the 09 oem would be better. what do you guys think?Thuren Fabrication- Crossover steering kits

· Registered
553 Posts
...69039930AA Cost about $87 bucks....
i know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the right part number to order the 08.5+ steering from Dodge? this one is FAIL.

· Registered
2,445 Posts
I got mine from source automotive, you can order it from there web site.

· Registered
2,146 Posts
i know this is an old thread, but does anyone have the right part number to order the 08.5+ steering from Dodge? this one is FAIL.
try 5212236af
and 6803993aa for the pitman arm

Reactions: pricetag
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.