Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I’m planning my build and i was going with a triple but after reading http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-powertrain/280423-single-tripple-disc-converter-3.html I’m having second thoughts. After the trans build i am only putting a smarty sr on. I don't tow much just my boat20ft as far as racing just at a red light now and then and maybe the track 1 or 2 times a year would like to do boosted launches. I know later on I will get the more power bug and I want to do it right the first time. Any thoughts

·
Registered
293 Posts
The single will work as well but for the price its @ 300 less and the room to grow will be much greater ...

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
You can't go wrong with a good single disk and the supporting mods. Many, many, many people have found that to be true. ;)

·
Registered
51 Posts
After talking to a lot (A LOT....I like to do my research) of people about getting my transmission build and of course a new TC. triple has been the way to go every single time. And these just arent people that i would be giving my money to. The singles as far as i can tell and have been told, even build, arent ment to take the abuse that the cummins engines makes torque wise.

If you are looking to put any power mods into it i think its well worth the extra money to get the triple. i tired to find a way to save money doing it as well but time after time i was told i would be back in the shop getting a triple after 30-40k. Its of course up to you and your budget now, but based on my research long term u will be happeir with a triple.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
The singles as far as i can tell and have been told, even build, arent ment to take the abuse that the cummins engines makes torque wise.
I would have to disagree with that statement. I ran the single for quit some time, track and street.

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
The singles as far as i can tell and have been told, even build, arent ment to take the abuse that the cummins engines makes torque wise.
Totally disagree with that idea, just another urban myth. Singles were king way before the triples ever gained recognition, and they worked really really well.

Many BIG HP trucks running singles in all areas plus THOUSANDS cruisng up and down the hiways with big 5'ers on them.

There is a time and place to use triple disk, a time and place to use single disks. Anybody that says different is only giving you HALF the story. ;)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
just looking at the difference between stock and single billet you can tell that is a serious improvment

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,031 Posts
my triple locks up very hard in both 3 and od. not very comfortable I have to really use my foot to shift it or else it feels like it is going to tear my truck apart. That said I have not been in one with a good single.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
for sure single definatly is much smoother
some of the harshness is from the low stall
GENERALLY the triples are the true low stall the entire converter has been set up for low stall the singles are usually mostly stock with a billet cover some builders put in the billet piston and damper and the mixed flow stator bu some do not
thats why the prices seem all over the map
you can even have a non billet converter with the billet piston installed
or a single billet with thrust washers instead of bearings
it's aggrivating to find a good supplier

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
GENERALLY the triples are the true low stall the entire converter has been set up for low stall the singles are usually mostly stock with a billet cover
Not generally true at all. The number of disks has nothing to do with stall or TQ multiplication. The disks are ONLY used in the lockup mode.

Now flash stall, full brake stall, and TQ multiplication are all about how the turbine and stator translate the fluid into movement and capture it. Totally different functions in a TC.

As to the better internal parts like bushing, bearings, etc, those are also completely seperate from the previous two concepts.

A triple disk can be setup for high stall and still use inferior parts in the internals, the same way a single can be a low stall high TQ multiplcation and quite easily handle all the power that can be run thru it.

There is no general rule or anything else to apply to singles or triples, its all about how they are built, the parts that are used, and how the stator\turbine setup is designed.

Price will determine exactly how good that TC. I GUARANTEE a triple disk that cost $700 is inferior in every way to a $1200 single disk.

The TC market is close to being commodotized. It used to be people would pay $1200 for a TC that did the job becuase everyone knew it would work. Now, anybody that can buy a mill is cutting these things apart and throwing extra disks, a billet cover, and a few good bearings in it and under cutting quality work. The people buying these inferior parts are propogating the notion that its just as good as the expensive one becuase THEY run it. Just because it will hold more power in lockup than a stocker means nothing, the stall is crap, the engagement is harsh, and the TQ multiplication is pathetic BECAUSE it can be overcome by more aggressive lockup. When these things finally reach the end of their short life span they blow all over the place and trash way more parts than they should. Anyone that that doesn't grok that is deluding themselves, badly!! :confused013:

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. There is way more to building a solid trans than 3 disks in the TC and banging the shifts points. :doh:

Ok, thats my rant for the day. :hehe:

·
Registered
206 Posts
ive been doin a lot of research on a new tc and so far that is one of the best explainations of what im looking for. big thanks to you cerberusiam :thumbsup:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Not generally true at all. The number of disks has nothing to do with stall or TQ multiplication. The disks are ONLY used in the lockup mode.

Now flash stall, full brake stall, and TQ multiplication are all about how the turbine and stator translate the fluid into movement and capture it. Totally different functions in a TC.

As to the better internal parts like bushing, bearings, etc, those are also completely seperate from the previous two concepts.

A triple disk can be setup for high stall and still use inferior parts in the internals, the same way a single can be a low stall high TQ multiplcation and quite easily handle all the power that can be run thru it.

There is no general rule or anything else to apply to singles or triples, its all about how they are built, the parts that are used, and how the stator\turbine setup is designed.

Price will determine exactly how good that TC. I GUARANTEE a triple disk that cost $700 is inferior in every way to a $1200 single disk.

The TC market is close to being commodotized. It used to be people would pay $1200 for a TC that did the job becuase everyone knew it would work. Now, anybody that can buy a mill is cutting these things apart and throwing extra disks, a billet cover, and a few good bearings in it and under cutting quality work. The people buying these inferior parts are propogating the notion that its just as good as the expensive one becuase THEY run it. Just because it will hold more power in lockup than a stocker means nothing, the stall is crap, the engagement is harsh, and the TQ multiplication is pathetic BECAUSE it can be overcome by more aggressive lockup. When these things finally reach the end of their short life span they blow all over the place and trash way more parts than they should. Anyone that that doesn't grok that is deluding themselves, badly!! :confused013:

Bottom line is you get what you pay for. There is way more to building a solid trans than 3 disks in the TC and banging the shifts points. :doh:

Very well said,Garmon has a good supplier for their fat shaft converter...TCS Performance :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

point I was making was ususally the triples are more performance than the singles and you usually get what you pay for with the triples and that the singles could be anything , everything or nothing they claim to be

·
Banned
5,586 Posts
I would have to disagree with that statement. I ran the single for quit some time, track and street.
So what are you running now?

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
point I was making was ususally the triples are more performance than the singles and you usually get what you pay for with the triples and that the singles could be anything , everything or nothing they claim to be
Total disagreement with that is the point I am making, it is simply not true.

The same exact criteria apply to BOTH because the only difference is the number of lockup disks, and that is not nearly important as how the TC is constructed and the parts used.

Anybody can make a lockup work with enough pressure and disks. A TC spends a significant part of its life in fluid coupling and under a load, how it performs in those conditions is much more critical than lockup. This is where the cost of a TC comes in whether its a triple or single disk.

In this case, more is not always better. ;)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
for sure someone can build a cheapo triple but it is much easier to build a cheapo single as it will accept ALL the stock pieces
alot of the triple billet covers only accept the suppliers piston , discs and needle bearing stators ect.
not to say guys building either way go the extra mile regardless
I use singles all the time but I trust my supplier and havent had any problems we reserve the triples for guys running more then 80 or 100 horse tunes or pull alot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts