Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a buddy with a 7.3 PSD and he put a toggle switch to lock his converter up. my question is do the make a "something" to do that, on the 68rfe? Can it be done? would it help save your tranny? hurt it?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does the tow/haul mode switch have anything to do with that.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont know does the tow/haul mode lock the converter faster?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not sure. I know on my 2000 Durango if you leave the OD off switch on then I has something to do with the torque converter lockup. Don't know if the tow/haul has anything to do with it or if it just holds the gear longer to keep the power up if you are towing a trailer or have a load.

·
Banned
722 Posts
To be honest i really dont notice any difference with tow mode on or off when accelerating and cruising speeds. Only time i notice a difference is when slowing down. i would really like to see a lock up though made for these trucks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know mine will hold a gear a little longer as it goes up through the gears when accelerating with tow/haul on. I don't know if it does it at lower throttle inputs. I usually notice it more when I am on the throttle more.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
but what i was getting at is there has to be two wires you can put a toggle in between to lock it up ? just need to find out what wires they are????

·
Banned
722 Posts
I know mine will hold a gear a little longer as it goes up through the gears when accelerating with tow/haul on. I don't know if it does it at lower throttle inputs. I usually notice it more when I am on the throttle more.
Is this towing or unloaded. cause when im towing heavy, either way the tow mode is set, sometimes i have to ease off the throttle for it to shift gears. this is a nice tranny, but really does need some tweaking.

·
Banned
722 Posts
but what i was getting at is there has to be two wires you can put a toggle in between to lock it up ? just need to find out what wires they are????
Get to work, im waiting!!!!:lol3:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for both. but more for when you lay down on it it doesnt slip, <as bad> i want it to go .lol

·
Banned
722 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
the tow/haul mode just locks the converter up sooner so it doesnt slip it while towing

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i just mesgd. my buddy to see what he did to his PSD ... maybe that will shed some light...

·
Registered
147 Posts
I couldn't find it either. I wonder if increasing line pressure would help.Hopfully someone comes out with a programmer or box to fix this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
MSD makes a switch control box. It's for nitous or electric fans, I think it could work good for a converter lockup box. It has a relay that is triggered by a signal from a sensor, TPS, VSS, coolant temp sensor. You calibrate the box to the sensor you are using as a trigger, then you can set what % the relay clicks on and % it clicks off. We could use the VSS for the trigger. The box also has a fooler wire for the ecu so it won't throw a code.MSD Smart Switch, PN 8966. Now we just need to know which wires are for the converter clutch and vehicle speed sensor.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Is this towing or unloaded. cause when im towing heavy, either way the tow mode is set, sometimes i have to ease off the throttle for it to shift gears. this is a nice tranny, but really does need some tweaking.
Mine just holds the gear longer when I'm in tow/haul mode, no matter if I'm loaded or not. Usually it seems like it shifts around 2500 rpm, but it runs up to around 3000 rpm when in tow/haul. Either way, I only see about 30 psi max. I know if you manually shift, it will let you get up to about 3500 rpm before it starts dropping you down for hitting redline.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did some digging in the service manual and found that the TCC is contolled by the L/R solenoid, and the solenoid is controlled by the PCM. The PCM grounds the DG/WT wire from the transmission solenoid assembely connector to lock the TCC according to the wiring diagram. I also found that the solenoid has multiple duty cycles to partially lock the TCC for a few seconds before it fully locks. This is the slipping we notice. I'm not sure if grounding that wire with a toggle switch would fully lock the TCC right away or not. I also found that the PCM controls line pressure from the signal from the line pressure sensor. The voltage supply to the sensor is 5 volts, the signal to the pcm has to be between .35 and 4.75 v to not throw any codes. I wonder if we could put a diode in the cuircit to raise the line pressure a little. Some one tell me how to put a picture on here and I will post some wiring diagrams.

·
Banned
722 Posts
I did some digging in the service manual and found that the TCC is contolled by the L/R solenoid, and the solenoid is controlled by the PCM. The PCM grounds the DG/WT wire from the transmission solenoid assembely connector to lock the TCC according to the wiring diagram. I also found that the solenoid has multiple duty cycles to partially lock the TCC for a few seconds before it fully locks. This is the slipping we notice. I'm not sure if grounding that wire with a toggle switch would fully lock the TCC right away or not. I also found that the PCM controls line pressure from the signal from the line pressure sensor. The voltage supply to the sensor is 5 volts, the signal to the pcm has to be between .35 and 4.75 v to not throw any codes. I wonder if we could put a diode in the cuircit to raise the line pressure a little. Some one tell me how to put a picture on here and I will post some wiring diagrams.
Good job doing the research. I know when i first bought my trucks they tsb my tranny with a flash for low line pressure. What we need is a dang proggy that will do it. Doesnt sound like a hard program to make.

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket to post pics

1 - 20 of 24 Posts