Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 98 12v, that recently ended up doing some duke's of hazzard out of a ditch and totalled it. Today went and put a down payment on a 98.5 24v, extended cab, automatic. Its from a dealer and he doesn't know a hole lot about the truck and i'm in turn getting a good deal on it. From what I can tell it looks to be 4 in turbo back, has an afe intake, autometer isspro guages, which arn't hooked up because it has a digital programmer, which I believe is the BD x2. So I knew my 12v inside and out, but these 24v's are different. I've read the beginner posts and newb threads.

I was wondering what I need to concentrate on first. I'm picking up later this week, whenever my insurance company pays me. My first plans are drain all fluids and replace, fill up fuel and add the additive. And to figure out exactly what tune is in the truck. What are the recommendations of you more knowledgeable??

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I lied it is an adrenaline display and box. Now if anyone is a guru with programming these things please help, I have no manuals or nothing with this truck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
get an air dog bc them vp 44 are know to fail bc of low fp

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know about the vp44 being a problem. But is airdog the best bang for the buck? or would the FASS? or Raptor? work better?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
airdog, hands down. got a full year on mine without one single issue

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
I'm on 5+ years with my FASS150.

Th Fass and AD are pretty much the same thing from what used to be the same company. They both have good warranty and similar reputation so if you have the coin, go for it.
If you want to save a few bucks (maybe a few hundred) a RASP, raptor, holley blue, aeromotive, or any other HD diesel lift pump that can hold 15-20 psi will do.
If you have an in-tank LP you will need a drawstraw to bypass it. BE SURE when fitting the straw that the tank is full and in the truck so it will sag normally. that will help prevent the 1/4 tank blues.
No matter what you choose, get an FP gauge! and NEVER run less than 5psi or you will be buying a VP.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Put your 12 valve in your new truck!

·
Registered
559 Posts
agreed put 12 valve in it but i would get an airdog then injectors quadzilla and a turbo with head studs

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a buyer for the 12 valve already. I found a used air dog 150 pump and filters, along with a helmann tank sump kit, from a local cummins guy. Along with that he has 06 valve cover for the better placement of the ccv, and a steering box brace. I already have the quadzilla adrenaline with the vr2 controller. I'm trying to find the previous owner to see if it has bigger sticks in already or not. I do see head studs in the future.

Now does the 24v have the same KDP issues as a 12v? What are major weaknesses of the 24v and auto, besides the pump, which I'm hoping with the air dog and pump should solve.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Perhaps start by scanning the truck before purchase. Perhaps do some research before posting so the thread gives you some reliable information. If you only want to talk about buying a new truck, at least post pics.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've read the KDP is still an issue, but not as common on the 24's due to less vibes from the injection pump. Seems the KDP is most common 98.5-00 area, while very few 01-02.

Check for it being a 53 block, and check to make sure the block ain't cracked.

Check for any codes.

Other than getting an AirDog, or equal type system, you should be just as reliable as a 12.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked it on my buddys snap on reader and showed no codes. Brought it home tonight. I didn't notice any cracks on block or any oil drips. Its a CA titled truck and clean, other than the clear coat pealing and the passenger side being side swiped. Well atleast I know how to Tab the KDP from my 12v, but it still sucks. Now AD or FASS, do they solve the vp44 issues completely, or just help keep the pump to live a little longer?

Junkman, I did my research before posting this. I know my 12valves and the 24 valve is a completely different beast. I posted this yesterday and bought the truck today. Please get your facts straight before you post. And I believe I provided alot of info on what the truck was and what I was looking for. Nowhere in my post does it not have details. But to make you happy I will explain clearer. 1998.5 24 valve 2500, 4x4, auto, extended cab, 4 in suspension lift, bilstein shocks, h2 rims with 35x12.5s, 4 in turbo back single exit, afe intake, isspro guages on a pillar, Quadzilla adrenaline with vr2, snug top hard tonneau cover, hide away 5th wheel, brake controller, Alpine head unit, Rockford fosgate speakers, amps and subs, no emblems, silencer removed. Yes in my original post I mentioned buying it, but that was because I had already made a deposit on the truck. Now if that question were asked about a 12v, it is covered in the newb/ read first sections. I read all of the stickys/ newb sections in the 24v and didn't find one that clearly pointed out faults of the 24v, other than the pump. Hence why I asked for help.

Also ordered the fuel pressure attachment for the vr2/adrenaline along with a pillar mount so the isspro guages are going bye bye. picking up this weekend bd steering box stablilizer and 3rd gen adjustable track bar. And should have hopefully by next week my airdog or fass, currently looks like i'm going AD, but will see which I can get for a better deal. Also added 2 stroke tcw-3 after I filled up approx. 1oz to 1 gallon.

·
Registered
284 Posts
No, the AD or Fass, or anything for that matter, won't cure the problems completely. It will certainly help solve the lift pump issue, which is probably the largest cause of the vp failure, but there are other variables that could come into play, such as heat and heat cycles (AD and Fass or any will help to keep cooler with more fuel flow). Another issue may be corrosion of the electronics over time. Lubrication is thought to be key, so bio, 2cyl oil, additives, etc will certainly help. Nothing will be as good as the 12v injection pumps, but if you run additives and keep anything above 14psi to it you should be good.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, that was what I was looking for. And I can't believe this guy spent the 900 on the adrenaline with vr2 but didn't spend the extra 90 for the fuel pressure kit. So I currently can't monitor pressure but hopefully that will be fixed soon. And I bought a whole case of 2 stroke last night at walmart so I'm planning on a quart everytime I fill up, it will be just over the 1oz to 1gal but I don't think it should hurt anything. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I think u should be fine as a lot of guys run it. I prefer the optilube XPD since it was rated as one of the best, but anything is better than nothing. Personal preference.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Checked it on my buddys snap on reader and showed no codes. Brought it home tonight. I didn't notice any cracks on block or any oil drips. Its a CA titled truck and clean, other than the clear coat pealing and the passenger side being side swiped. Well atleast I know how to Tab the KDP from my 12v, but it still sucks. Now AD or FASS, do they solve the vp44 issues completely, or just help keep the pump to live a little longer?

Junkman, I did my research before posting this. I know my 12valves and the 24 valve is a completely different beast. I posted this yesterday and bought the truck today. Please get your facts straight before you post. And I believe I provided alot of info on what the truck was and what I was looking for. Nowhere in my post does it not have details. But to make you happy I will explain clearer. 1998.5 24 valve 2500, 4x4, auto, extended cab, 4 in suspension lift, bilstein shocks, h2 rims with 35x12.5s, 4 in turbo back single exit, afe intake, isspro guages on a pillar, Quadzilla adrenaline with vr2, snug top hard tonneau cover, hide away 5th wheel, brake controller, Alpine head unit, Rockford fosgate speakers, amps and subs, no emblems, silencer removed. Yes in my original post I mentioned buying it, but that was because I had already made a deposit on the truck. Now if that question were asked about a 12v, it is covered in the newb/ read first sections. I read all of the stickys/ newb sections in the 24v and didn't find one that clearly pointed out faults of the 24v, other than the pump. Hence why I asked for help.

Also ordered the fuel pressure attachment for the vr2/adrenaline along with a pillar mount so the isspro guages are going bye bye. picking up this weekend bd steering box stablilizer and 3rd gen adjustable track bar. And should have hopefully by next week my airdog or fass, currently looks like i'm going AD, but will see which I can get for a better deal. Also added 2 stroke tcw-3 after I filled up approx. 1oz to 1 gallon.

Prior post: "I was wondering what I need to concentrate on first. "
Sorry if I seemed harsh but you didn't originally say that you scanned the truck. You also didn't say what you wanted the truck to do. Asking about the VP/FASS/AirDog or what you should do first is pretty much beating a dead horse.

You've already bought the truck, made decisions, bought parts and are making changes. Posting pics would have been more worthwhile post.

FWIW, (at least) one of the sites has a step by step process for increasing reliability and then making power. You can also get into the electric/mechanical gauge argument, steering and other topics for a long time.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Blacksahara, I will check into the optilube and give it a shot, can't hurt to give it a shot.

Junkman, Well I figured scanning was a common sense thing and didn't add it, my bad. I want the truck to be a reliable dd, pull my tractor, bobcat, mower, and 2 racecars on my 44 ft trailer. And if I didn't understand clearly on the VP/Fass/AD and ask a question, how is it beating a dead horse? The reason for these forums is to show off and help. And as far as buying parts, this is not much different from my 98 12v outside of electronics and engine. So I do know about alot of the issues of the truck itself, thats why I bought the steering box stabilizer and 3rd gen adjustable track bar. But when I don't know about the pump completely and issues with the engine and ask what major problems are, how would pictures be more worthwhile?? And I looked on this site and others about making it more reliable and efficient, but didn't find anything with step by step. And the guages, I already made the decision to run the vr2 instead of the isspro guages, and I know the steering pretty well, seeing how in the last 2 months I completly replaced all steering components on the 12v minus box, shaft and wheel. I never asked about guages or steering help.

Only thing I asked for was known issues, vp44, 53 block, kdp and lack of fuel lubrication where the answers I got. I know most issues with the rest of the truck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
i hope you enjoy your 24 valve as much as i do mine and u said u be selling the gauges how much

1 - 19 of 19 Posts