Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what all it takes to convert a nv4500 2wd to a 4wd?

I found the tail housing, but do i need different shaft?

And will a transfercase off a 96 fit on a nv4500?

any info would be great...

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Yes you need a new shaft...I had to do the same thing to mine. And the transfer case will fit if it's from truck that originally had a manual. If the transfer case is from an auto you have to swap the input shaft in it

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Yup, you need to find a 4x4 mainshaft and tail housing. and like mentioned above the tcase input shaft may need to be swapped if the tcase was off of an auto (different spline)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Youll also need to get a new front axle and all the steering linkage along with the steering box. You could try to use the vacuum actuators for the 4wd but locking hubs would be easier. Dodge used a Dana 60 in the front for diesels and i think ford did as well so you could either get the locking hubs from a ford or vacuum for the dodge. Ford also used heavier duty knuckles if i recall correctly. Im sure theres a bunch of stuff i forgot butthats the gist of it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks

Here is what im doing. i have a 96 reg cab 4x4 with a auto. but my engine mods about has the stock auto shot.

I want to swap a manual in. and found a 94 3500 dually 5spd. but its 2x4

Im was just wondering what all would need to be done to convert the trany to a 4x4?
Im not sure if its worth it all or not?
The truck is hit in the front end pertty hard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tc i would be using would be my auto tc

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
It's realy not that hard to swap everything over....get yourself some new synchros for it and you can do it with basic tools

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it proby aint hard, but finding all the parts is what im worried about.

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
if your looking to make it hold up to a bit of extra power and some abuse i would suggest maybe just buying yourself a complete overhaul kit from Home with the upgraded mainshaft

They have complete kits(not cheap), including the mainshaft (so you can swap out to a 4x4 shaft), plus they also sell the 4x4 tail housing (not cheap)

But its not going to be cheap...

If your looking for cheap, i would suggest you keep looking elsewhere for a 4x4 trans. either to use as a complete unit, or for the needed parts.

Depending on how much the guy wants for the 94, i would say you might be best off passing on the deal. It might end up costing you more to convert that trans, than it would to just pick up a 4x4 trans (not to mention that 4x4 trans would likely have your needed tcase/shaft behind it also!)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I left the truck go. thay wanted $1,600 off it. but im not even sure if te engine was any good.

so im looking for a 5 or 6spd. if anyone knows of anyting let me know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts