Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I had posted up a few weeks ago asking this but I never found the answer I was looking for. I have a 1997 Ram 4X4, V10, NV4500 and I have a Cummins engine out of a 1st gen ram. I know I need to get a 2nd gen cummins adapter plate, starter motor, motor mounts, radiator hoses, exhaust. What I'm not sure about is what do I need to do to get all the electrical to work, I plan on getting a 1-wire alternator so I'm not worried about the charging system but what do I need to do to get the Tach to work and will I be able to remove the old computer system that is hooked up to the V-10? I've tried searching Google and Cummins forum for someone with a write-up on this conversion but I have not been lucky enough to find one. Any help at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
You'll need a wiring harness and PCM for the correct year diesel. I've seen many people post about converting a V10 to a Cummins, but rarely does anyone do a follow up post as to what they did exactly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have basically the whole wiring harness from the 1st gen ram the cummins was in, is that the harness and PCM your talking about or will I have to get a second gen wiring harness? Also what is the PCM? Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated I've been searching for weeks and have not found a single write up on the conversion.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If your any good at wiring you could diy. It wouldnt be hard, not a whole lot of wires actually for the engine. First gen wiring looks a lot better than second gen wiring.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your any good at wiring you could diy. It wouldnt be hard, not a whole lot of wires actually for the engine. First gen wiring looks a lot better than second gen wiring.

I wouldn't mind wiring the motor up myself (DIY) but I haven't found a decent wiring diagram for the second gen trucks. I have a Haynes manual for the truck but it leaves a lot to be desired. Also there's currently no sensor for the Tach on the motor, so I would need to add one to work with the gauges.

·
Registered
69 Posts
PCM = power control module aka ECM (engine control module) or just plan ole "computer" lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PCM = power control module aka ECM (engine control module) or just plan ole "computer" lol

Lol oh okay. Now I could be wrong but I thought the 12V didn't need a computer. I even had the engine running by itself in my garage. Is the PCM simply for the gauges and sensors? And if it is would i just have to hook up the sensors on the 12V to the PCM in my V10 truck with the exception of probably the tach? I'm sorry in advance if these questions have already been answed but I haven't had much luck using the search feature or google.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Lol oh okay. Now I could be wrong but I thought the 12V didn't need a computer. I even had the engine running by itself in my garage. Is the PCM simply for the gauges and sensors? And if it is would i just have to hook up the sensors on the 12V to the PCM in my V10 truck with the exception of probably the tach? I'm sorry in advance if these questions have already been answed but I haven't had much luck using the search feature or google.
yea the gauges and the charging system are all the pcm is used for on these engines, but if you do want to DIY get a single wire alternator and run aftermarket gauges. you can use the crank position sensor to get a tach signal

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the gauges and the charging system are all the pcm is used for on these engines, but if you do want to DIY get a single wire alternator and run aftermarket gauges. you can use the crank position sensor to get a tach signal

Okay good, thank you for confirming that Smoke12Vem. Now I just need to find a decent wiring diagram for the gauges and engine wiring. The crank position sensor, is that already on my current set-up? V10, nv4500? Or would it be something I add on to get a tach signal?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Okay good, thank you for confirming that Smoke12Vem. Now I just need to find a decent wiring diagram for the gauges and engine wiring. The crank position sensor, is that already on my current set-up? V10, nv4500? Or would it be something I add on to get a tach signal?
well the cummins has one mounted on the timing cover, facing the harmonic balancer. but yes, the v10 does have a crank position sensor. whether the output voltage pulse is the same, i do not know without testing them

·
Registered
69 Posts
the PCM controls the charging,a/c and the transmission. not sure if it does anything else tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Would anyone happen to know if I got the second gen engine wiring harness, if it would plug into my current PCM and if the gauges would work with that? I already have a diesel application gauge cluster on its way to me in the mail. I'm not worried about the charging system I'm tracking down a 1-wire alternator to use but the A/C controls are very important to me. I have seen posts about guys doing this conversion but have yet to find a detailed thread on the actual conversion if anyone knows someone that could possibly help me I'd greatly appreciate sending them my way or a user name so I could contact them

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i wonder what these v10s go for, itd be cool to put one in a hotrod, sorry brain fart back on topic :stirpot:
I'm planning on selling the V10 once I get this whole swap over with, IDK what "fair" resale is for the motor but I've seen it listed on the craigslist near me for $1K and that was without the wiring harness. But I was thinking the same thing "this motor would be perfect in a Ratrod or a Cobra Kit car..." Hopefully I can get the harness out with the motor and make back some money from the swap. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay looking to clarify some things here with this conversion, I have just about all the major parts for this conversion but I'm unclear as to whether or not I also have to change out the "Computer" from my V10 computer to a Diesel computer. Any solid information about this is greatly appreciated since I've been getting mixed answers if I need to swap it or not.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Follow up post, I got the conversion finished back in December. For anyone looking to do the same thing I did I'll put together a list of parts/items I needed for the conversion to work smoothly.

My truck started off as a V-10 Gas powered, NV4500 equipped, 241DHD Cased, beast. I quickly got tired of spending at least $30 everyday on gas and I happen to have a 5.9 Cummins sitting around from a 1990 Dodge ram 250 I had a while back. The Cummins was set up as an automatic and needed to be set up for manual and for a Tach sensor, so here goes the list of parts that I can remember ( I'll edit if I can remember more )

-ECM from a 1997 Dodge ram Cummins application
-Engine bay Wiring harness from 1997 Dodge ram Cummins application
-Tach sensor and mount bracket from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Cummins Engine mount brackets from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Cummins to NV4500 adapter plate from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Flywheel & Clutch Setup ( NOT the hydraulics, they remain the SAME ) from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Starter Motor from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-I used the same Alternator that was on the V-10 Engine set-up (I think I might have swapped the pulley from the old Cummins Alternator onto the needed V-10 Alternator)

-Radiator from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Thermostat housing from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Interior Gauge Cluster from 1997 Dodge Cummins application
-Ran a Fuel Return line from engine to Fuel tank

If you have an older Cummins such as the one I used you're going to have to do one of two things to get the tach sensor/charging system to work, either carefully grind the two notched into the harmonic balancer like they had on the Cummins engines equipped with a tach sensor OR get yourself the next part listed...

-Harmonic balancer from 1997 Dodge Cummins application

I ran into a slight problem with the fuel tank sending unit when I did the conversion, the Fuel tank sending unit initially had the electric pump in it for the V-10 set-up and that electric fuel pump would not allow the mechanical fuel pump on the Cummins engine to draw fuel through it. I figured I'll just wire up the electric pump to pump fuel from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump on the engine.....it was working great for about 2-3 weeks into the conversion until one day I noticed my Oil pressure dropped to 0 and I discovered I blew the seal in my Injection pump, :doh: no big deal I had just fixed it with a new for about $20 and a hour worth of work in the lovely December cold. :banghead: I ended up taking the sending unit out of the fuel tank and doing a temporary by-pass using a metal tube hooked up to the hard rubber line inside the sending unit. I'll eventually be replacing the sending unit with the next part listed...

-Sending unit from 1997 Dodge Cummins application

Like I said this list was from what I can remember at the moment, if I remember anything else I needed to make the conversion work I'll add it in. The reason I specified all the parts I got for the conversion for a 1997 Dodge Cummins application is because the truck the diesel was going into was a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500. If anyone has any questions about the conversion (difficulty, money spent, ect...) feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

Reactions: carbon

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you 68JeepCummins for posting information on V10 to cummins conversion. I'm in the process of doing an early 98 2500 4x4 with the V10. I just removed the V10 today, the truck has the automatic transmission and i'm thinking the ECM & wire harness from a cummins appl will control it correctly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you 68JeepCummins for posting information on V10 to cummins conversion. I'm in the process of doing an early 98 2500 4x4 with the V10. I just removed the V10 today, the truck has the automatic transmission and i'm thinking the ECM & wire harness from a cummins appl will control it correctly.

Hey, no problem I figured I wasn't the only guy out there that would end up doing this conversion unfortunately I never did a step by step write up while I was doing the conversion (it was the middle of December and I was working in my driveway) so least time spent outside the better.

Now since you have the automatic I won't be of much help on that subject if it will work correctly or not, I know the gasser's have higher RPM shift points and I'm not sure if just the computer will change that or if it's the valve body as well. I think I remember reading somewhere that you would need a 12V application torque converter.

Some things I can tell you after you do the conversion is add an inter-cooler if you don't have one already lined up for the truck and I went with the HX35 turbo, 4200RPM gov spring and I believe a stage 2 DennyT fuel pin in my first gen cummins engine (If you're running a first gen engine). Those parts make the WORLD of difference on that stock engine. My truck will break the 37" tires free in third gear no problem.

Also if you have any questions about parts or anything feel free to shoot me a pm, I'd be glad to help!

-Nick

Reactions: tractormaniac

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tractormaniac,

Just saw your signature and read you are going to be using a first gen engine. I forgot to add into my list of things that when you go to use the Second Gen engine wiring harness you need to make a couple modifications to get the heater grids to work properly and also the fuel shut off solenoid, nothing crazy in terms of wiring but some little details to make the swap go a little bit smoother for you. I don't remember the wires exactly but I could check it out for you when it's light out if you need. I had traced them down with my volt meter when everything was in place so that the clusters of wires would be near where they would end up, making it easier to find the needed wires.

Reactions: tractormaniac
1 - 19 of 19 Posts