Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
So i have this idea and kinda of a plan of dropping a 5.9 into my 1986 lincoln town car.. i know i could buy an older truck and build it up but i like to be different and i think that this would be pretty cool to have when it was all said and done....

what are your guys thoughts... how possible it this if at all? i would be redoing the whole car inside and out as well. i have some pics of the car now so if wanted i can post some up...

thanks for your input in advance.

Andy

·
Registered
10,784 Posts
I suppose its likely got enough length under the hood to accomidate it, but what about the height...?

Your looking at about 21" from the crank centerline to the top of the rocker covers. Its pretty hard to move the crank centerline below what it is now (you'd be talking about custom k/member and tans member to drop the entire driveline on the pavement). so with that in mind, you dont have a whole lot of option other than to go up!

(not sure how this compares to your original engine, but its about 4" taller than the distance from the crank centerline to the top of the air cleaner on a carbed SBC, ive looked into swapping a few engines myself)

Hmmm a cummins town car with a cowl hood.... :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the height issue has been the concern. now im not planning on starting this until after i move in the fall..

but i was thinking of just going up.. i know the oil pan has a low point...
but i will either do a cowl hood or make a custom one where the engine comes out the top some... not fully sure yet...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
im gonna sit in here and eat some popcorn, :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im gonna sit in here and eat some popcorn, :popcorn:
i hope you have a lot of popcorn cause it is going to take a long time.. since im not starting it until fall.. and then i will have to get the funds for it so ya...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just "Donk" it.:hehe: J/K, you could modify the pan to go out instead of down to keep the same capacity, with a modified pick-up. This would allow you to shave some height.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just "Donk" it.:hehe: J/K, you could modify the pan to go out instead of down to keep the same capacity, with a modified pick-up. This would allow you to shave some height.
white kid with a donk lincoln. hmmm something doesnt sound right there... haha.. but ya i could always do that. i mean this thing is gonna be one modified beast..

·
Registered
258 Posts
There is always the "Bubba Donk". :hehe:

Kind of like a bad mullet, business in the front, party in the back.:headbang:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wow... just wow... i guess if i wanted it to look bad i could do that... but im gonna take my time and do things right... so i can roal come serious coal and burn some serious runner by just hitting the go pedal

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just curious how you could intigrate the JTECH electronics with a town car?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
not sure yet.. but the car is going to be 100 percent redone... so ill cross that bridge when i get there really..

im more than positive i will be here and a few other places for help along the way..

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ding!, Had a thought, could you use a E4OD behind the cummins, and have the Lincoln's electronics control it?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
idk.. but i dont want these control.. i dont like them... all i know is im going to have to make it a floor shifter.. i hate the column shift.

the other big factor is money.. i know i can build up this 5.0 thats in it really easy and cheap.. but then it would be like any other 5.0 and i want to be different.. so i may try to get sponors and everything also... as much help as i can..

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,934 Posts
The biggest problem I am thinkin is going to be that damn air suspension that sucked so much at life even with the V8 under the hood. I don't think I've seen a single one of those cars that isn't assup in the air or pancaked to the ground neither of which were on purpose.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i think i have it but im not entirely sure.. cause there is no kill switch for it in the trunk... but it rides super smooth... i wasnt planning on keeping it anyway.. like i said everything in this car is gonna get redone.. and i mean everything

1 - 15 of 15 Posts