Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some new mediocre shocks from autozone on a beat up 01 dually. After installation, I notice a clunk felt through the drivers side floor pan. Not only that, but the sound and feeling that it makes is quite noticeable. More than likely, it was occuring before the new shocks but possibly not. The shocks are mounted securely as far as I can tell. Is this a symptom of control arm bushing failure? How is the best way to check them and are auto parts replacements any good? Do any other joints come to mind that could be the same symptoms? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
I'll bet you a dollar that your lower shock mount is loose! you might think the bolt is tight, but I promise you its not, crawl back under bring a screwdriver(big long one) and there is enough room under there to wedge the screwdriver under the shock body, then lift up, if the shock body moves up and down the bolt is too loose, I had to use a punch to hit the metal around where the shock mount bolt is, the metal is so thick that it cant "pinch" tightly around the shock bushing. hitting the bracket helps to tighten the shock bolt, your gonna think the bolt will break before it will tighten up....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts