Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
I'm considering switching from a 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500HD diesel 4x4 dually to a 2011.5 or 2012 Dodge/Ram 3500. I've been reading and watching this forum and had some questions:

With respect to the HO engine, can you "chip" a non-HO Cummins and achieve approximately the same HP and torque increase?

Are there any chronic maintenance/mechanical issues that are unique to the Cummins 6.7?

I'll be towing a 16K#, 39' 5th wheel. Is it unreasonable to expect an all-around average MPG of something better than 15? I generally tow at speeds between 63-65 mph. Does the HO engine cost any fuel economy? How about the 4wd? Was anything done to the 2011.5 HO engine in 2012 to improve it?

Thank you!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yes...pulling that weight 15 is unreasonable. Running empty maybe....

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't get 15 empty, on the highway, with my '12 dually. Hauling a 5k camper and towing an ATV on a utility trailer usually nets around 8 mpg's.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If you do the deletes then you can expect around 12-13 from what I have read around here but can't confirm as I have not towed that much so far and my truck has all the emissions stuff.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hello!
I'm considering switching from a 2008 Chevy Silverado 3500HD diesel 4x4 dually to a 2011.5 or 2012 Dodge/Ram 3500. I've been reading and watching this forum and had some questions:

With respect to the HO engine, can you "chip" a non-HO Cummins and achieve approximately the same HP and torque increase?

Are there any chronic maintenance/mechanical issues that are unique to the Cummins 6.7?

I'll be towing a 16K#, 39' 5th wheel. Is it unreasonable to expect an all-around average MPG of something better than 15? I generally tow at speeds between 63-65 mph. Does the HO engine cost any fuel economy? How about the 4wd? Was anything done to the 2011.5 HO engine in 2012 to improve it?

Thank you!
You will be doing well to see 10-11 if you are very conservative on the pedal. I pull the same size with more weight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just got done on a 2000km trip towing a 12,000lb 36ft 5th wheel trailer from Vancouver to the Oregon coast. On the flats, no wind at 70mph the computer was showing between 11 and 13mpg. I did not hand calculate but given my fills vs distance seems somewhat close. I'm a stock H/O and haven't deleted yet. I haven't done any empty distances on highway but find city empty is poor for economy. My 03 5.9 was definitely better for economy, but is no match for the power.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
I traded a 09 dmax/allison for the Ram. Milage towing is about the same. You have a great truck now. If you buy the Ram, I would do so for better interior, more low end grunt at lower rpm, (dmax make more power higher in revs) and just to have a newer truck. You will not gain in mileage at all.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 2012 DRW 4x4 pulling same size trailer but heavier just got 7.6 MPG hand calculated from Toledo OH to New Berlin NY and back at around 70 mph, empty daily driving I see about 12.

My 07.5 deleted with smarty jr on stock did about 8.5 pulling same trailer same speeds with 3:73 gears my 12 has 4:10s, the 07.5 did better on mpg with smarty on sw2 by about 1 mpg at best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.