Votes: 79 79.0%
  • Don't do it.

Votes: 21 21.0%
1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, i've done about all the research I can and with rising fuel prices, i'm considering building my own Waste Motor Oil processing unit to run recycled motor oil as fuel. It would look a lot like this; About Us
Two tanks, a pump, a 10 micron filter, a 1 micron filter and a magnet filter. I would be looking to start out at a B20 equivalent and cautiously try to work my way up to 50/50.

Two things;

Does anyone want to try and talk me out of this? / Does anyone have any long term experience with WMO?

Do you think the Polymer Filtration Pod is really necessary?

Also, any theories on how this will affect my injectors / VP-44?

Thanks guys, you always have great information for me!

-Joe-

·
Registered
684 Posts
:w: Your money, your risk.

BTW, if I were buying a truck that was run on this I'd walk away if it was disclosed.

·
DieselAutoPower.com
6,767 Posts
I've been playing with it a little. I've ran a couple of gallons at a time in my tank. I've just been dumping it in. But after a clogged filter once. (I tried dumping WMO and WVO in the tank at the same time. That gels, don't do it!) I could see that the filter was working hard. I've stopped for now. I have dumped some clean engine oil into it that I had to drain out of a engine for shipping. But just 2 stroke stuff right now.

Come to think of it. How much is 2 stroke oil at wally world now in the gallon jugs? It's gotta be cheaper than diesel at $4.67 a gallon. I might start cutting my fuel with that...

Back to the WMO. I'd run it again (I've got ~50 gallons I need to use) but I've got to get some sort of pre-filter before I try it again.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been playing with it a little. I've ran a couple of gallons at a time in my tank. I've just been dumping it in. But after a clogged filter once. (I tried dumping WMO and WVO in the tank at the same time. That gels, don't do it!) I could see that the filter was working hard. I've stopped for now. I have dumped some clean engine oil into it that I had to drain out of a engine for shipping. But just 2 stroke stuff right now.

Come to think of it. How much is 2 stroke oil at wally world now in the gallon jugs? It's gotta be cheaper than diesel at $4.67 a gallon. I might start cutting my fuel with that...

Back to the WMO. I'd run it again (I've got ~50 gallons I need to use) but I've got to get some sort of pre-filter before I try it again.
Yeah, I will definitely be filtering it a few times and I want to run it through a magnet in order to get rid of any metal powder/residue.

I dunno, an oil burner burning oil doesn't seem so far fetched to me... I don't really see how its much different than WVO, both have impurities that need to be filtered out, plus WMO is more lubricating.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do it!!!! :) i love it!!! I don't know how the vp likes it though so ive got no comment on that.

·
Registered
577 Posts
risk it, haha you only have to run like 8 tanks of free WMO to save in fuel for the cost of a new VP. plus oil companies blow, i hate giving them my money

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do it!!!! :) i love it!!! I don't know how the vp likes it though so ive got no comment on that.
Your sig says "WMO Blend" how much are you using???

·
Registered
133 Posts
My old IDI ferd loved 70/30 wmo/dino so i don't see any reason a 12V shouldn't run fine on it too. BTW the IDI is still going After 40,000 miles of that blend.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My old IDI ferd loved 70/30 wmo/dino so i don't see any reason a 12V shouldn't run fine on it too. BTW the IDI is still going After 40,000 miles of that blend.
First off, :welcome:

Are you considering running it in your truck now? Mine's a 24 valve and the fuel system is a little more finicky as you probably already know so i'm slightly apprehensive about this whole thing, I mean on paper i'd do it, but after builing a $200-$300 filtering system (my estimate) and taking the time to do it right, i'm still not sure if I could bring myself to pour that black gunk in my fuel tank. But as fuel prices keep going up, i'm getting tired of looking at my lawn ornament and remembering how fun it used to be to drive *sighs*

·
Registered
241 Posts
lvin4jc, I'd love to try it if I didn't have the 6.7 I was looking for a 5.9 before I got this but they're just so hard to find. I am however getting ready to start making bio. If I had a pre CR 5.9 I would do it in a heartbeat. By the way, where are you located in OK? I'm around OKC area.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
build a WVO kit huh? I have little well no experience in the stuff so I dont have a clue how diffacult it is to build or whats involved. but if you think you can do it, run with it!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes I am going to run it in my cummins but I will use the same justifaction as on the IDI since mine is a 12v the cost to pay back ratio is much lower since injectors & such are much less $$$ on mech. motors than on the 24v's so just a few tanks would pay for even a new pump if your saving $50 or more per tank.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lvin4jc, I'd love to try it if I didn't have the 6.7 I was looking for a 5.9 before I got this but they're just so hard to find. I am however getting ready to start making bio. If I had a pre CR 5.9 I would do it in a heartbeat. By the way, where are you located in OK? I'm around OKC area.
Broken Arrow / Tulsa

build a WVO kit huh? I have little well no experience in the stuff so I dont have a clue how diffacult it is to build or whats involved. but if you think you can do it, run with it!
Well, i'm looking at WEO (waste engine oil), does that change your vote???

Yes I am going to run it in my cummins but I will use the same justifaction as on the IDI since mine is a 12v the cost to pay back ratio is much lower since injectors & such are much less $$$ on mech. motors than on the 24v's so just a few tanks would pay for even a new pump if your saving $50 or more per tank.
I hear that, even at a 50/50 blend i'll be saving $75.00 a tank. Actually, since my diesel cost will effectively be $2.30 it will be cheaper to drive than the wife's car (which is oh-so-lamer than I had remembered, I really need to get her something new:lol3:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Will Synthetic work for a fuel? All the WMO I have is Royal Purple. Will this work in the CR trucks as well?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have an 2007 5.9 wanting to cut my fuel costs
other then not driving it (not going to happen) can i and what would the mix be for WVO or WMO im on the road about 20000 miles a month. can i burn it in this girl?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wmo

I am new to the site but have been reasearching the WMO myself. I have run some WVO through my ds01 , but that stufff is getting harder to find. I have a source of WMO but I just don't know if I want to pay $3000 for a processor. I would like to think I can build one a lot cheaper I just don't know if some of those parts like the resonator are necessary or not. Any feedback.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will Synthetic work for a fuel? All the WMO I have is Royal Purple. Will this work in the CR trucks as well?
i have an 2007 5.9 wanting to cut my fuel costs
other then not driving it (not going to happen) can i and what would the mix be for WVO or WMO im on the road about 20000 miles a month. can i burn it in this girl?
From what I understand, the CR trucks don't like it as much, they're a little more picky and there isn't much tolerance in the system.

I am new to the site but have been reasearching the WMO myself. I have run some WVO through my ds01 , but that stufff is getting harder to find. I have a source of WMO but I just don't know if I want to pay $3000 for a processor. I would like to think I can build one a lot cheaper I just don't know if some of those parts like the resonator are necessary or not. Any feedback.
:welcome:

Home
Oil as fuel

Those guys have one for $1,000, but I plan on building my own out of a tank or two, a 10 micron filter, a 1 micron filter and a magnetic filter. But most guys i've talked to are just dumping the stuff right into their tanks with no filtering at all...

·
Registered
4 Posts
So you think If I can build a similar system to one mentioned minus the resonator and polymer filtration and a have a pretty good filtering system I should be okay. Where would you get a filter that is magnetized? Thanks for any help you can give me. I am dying to get started with diesel at $4.65 around here.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts