Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently reinstalled my dashboard after it being out for a year.
After bolting it all in I started plugging in all the electrical connections. Most are pretty obvious, there was the bulkhead pass through, the ABS module, the blower resistor, the connector that goes under the seat to feed the cargo light 3rd brake light and rear speakers, the brake light switch etc etc etc.
I have two connectors left over that I can't seem to find what plugs into them. They look like pretty substantial connectors too. One has four pins in it with heavy gauge wires, the other one has eight pins in it with slightly smaller gauge wire. I've attached photos of these two. The four pin connector is straight up from the throttle pedal while the eight pin connector is over above the e-brake pedal.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper

White Light Bag Trunk Electrical wiring

If anybody can identify these two and tell me what plugs into them I'd appreciate it very much.
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
24,109 Posts
Have you looked at this to see if you can match them up?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you looked at this to see if you can match them up?

Yes I've got that downloaded on my home computer, and I've been through it about five times. The main problem is that the pictures of the wire routing kind of look like a doodle drawing that a high school kid did. And the actual wiring schematics don't have connector views so it's kind of impossible to determine what's what in the diagram.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know if it'll help narrow things down, but pretty much everything on the interior of the truck is working with the exception of the turn signals and the power windows.
(5/10)Edit: The directionals began working after replacing the flasher element.

1. The bulb check lights all come on in the dash when the key is turned on
2. The parking lights and headlights all work including high beam and low beam via the dimmer switch and the high beam indicator on the cluster works.
3. The radio works and plays.
4. The blower for the climate control works on all speeds.
5. The windshield wiper and washer works.
6. The map light and dome light both work.
7. The horn works
8. The cigar lighter works.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Stating the obvious but you may just need to ID the colours on those wires and try to find them on the wiring diagram and see what they are used for.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stating the obvious but you may just need to ID the colours on those wires and try to find them on the wiring diagram and see what they are used for.
Yes, that's what I have been doing but to no avail. I've been scanning through all of the schematics for the 1990 and 1993 factory service manual section 8.

Reactions: tobylou8

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been trying to locate two black connectors in the diagrams, one of which has four wires(colors black, red, pink, and tan with black tracer). Other than the pink wire which appears to be 16 or 18 gauge the remaining three in this connector are quite heavy, they look like 12 gauge wires.

The other connector has eight cavities.
The colors are:
8. Pink
1. white with black tracer
2. yellow with black tracer
3. white with blue tracer
4. Solid blue,
5. Solid yellow
6. Solid white
7. black
The wires in this connector are of mixed gauge, but are mostly 14 and 16 gauge.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rectangle Slope Font Schematic Parallel

Found one!

1993 FSM section 8W page 116, the 8 pin connector is for power mirrors.

My truck is not equipped with power mirrors, so I guess that one is going to continue to dangle.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Chrysler in their infinite wisdom liked to switch things up. @Saintly kindly sent me an O/D lockout switch. All the model years with O/D have different switches from each other AND the wires a all different colors from one year to the next. I was not able to get it to work with my wiring and had to put in a toggle. I just looked under the dash of my 2 and I have nothing resembling those connections. BUT, I do have 2 4 blade connectors hooked to nothing. One is 1x4 and the other is 2x2 and it's on both trucks bolted to the parking brake handle.
🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once again Steve you hit it right on the head. It was for the power windows, I had to take the instrument bezel out and the climate control head in order to find the other half of the connector but I finally found it.

Once I plugged it in and cycled the key on my power windows and power locks work, and since I don't have power mirrors the other eight pin connector must have always been unhooked.

Unfortunately, after buttoning everything up and putting it all back together my parking lights and dash lights stopped working, so either I bumped something loose while I was in there or something coincidentally stopped working. So now I got to take a look under that dash yet again for a new problem. I tell you my back is really hurting from twisting and wrything around underneath that dash, not to mention all the crap that falls in your eyes when you're upside down looking up there. I was really hoping that nightmare was over..

·
Registered
Late 1990 w250 727/3.07s
1,435 Posts
Once again Steve you hit it right on the head. It was for the power windows, I had to take the instrument bezel out and the climate control head in order to find the other half of the connector but I finally found it.

Once I plugged it in and cycled the key on my power windows and power locks work, and since I don't have power mirrors the other eight pin connector must have always been unhooked.

Unfortunately, after buttoning everything up and putting it all back together my parking lights and dash lights stopped working, so either I bumped something loose while I was in there or something coincidentally stopped working. So now I got to take a look under that dash yet again for a new problem. I tell you my back is really hurting from twisting and wrything around underneath that dash, not to mention all the crap that falls in your eyes when you're upside down looking up there. I was really hoping that nightmare was over..

It's never over...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts