Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

confusion has set in!!!!!!!!

1436 Views 20 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  danh63
:banghead:
I finally figured that I would go with a 6" kit running stock wheels with Toyo 37's. I was set on a BDS lift but have heard a few things. Also not sure on wether to go with M/T's or A/T's. It pretty much is a pavement princess and not my daily driver. Can you guys give me a hand with lift suggestions and tires?? Also don't want a cheap lift but on that is quality and will ride nice. I know I want to go long arm but at this point I am back to square one!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
just put a pro comp six inch long arm on. i think the ride is about same as stock on pavement, but better on dirt, which doesnt matter to you. put 37 1450 nitto a/ts on. not as mean of look as m/ts but they last longer and are quieter, imo

· Registered
486 Posts
One problem with the BDS kit is that they use a few more brackets on the front axle to help with the control arms. These extra brackets, while they do help angles, are another place for bolts to come loose as you drive. Special attention needs to be paid to all bolts on any modifications that you may preform. That being said you will have more hardware you need to check. A long arm kit is great if you are going to use your rig off road. Since you said it is a "pavement princess" I would look into a Superlift kit. The only lowering bracket on the kit is for the track bar. The arms are a tubular design, much stronger than stock, and bolt up to the stock locations. (No extra brackets). This is the kit I have on my rig and they are top notch. There are other kits that are the same basic design as the Superlift. Just try and use the K.I.S.S. method and you should be fine.

LT.

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To get the look I want I am thinking of 2" blocks in the rear. I want the front to sit about 2" higher.
I am surprised I didn't get more responses on this.

Doesn't a long arm kit ride better than a short arm kit?

· Registered
3,516 Posts
long really benefits the ride on lifts over 6". thats when the control arms start giving you vertical geometry

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
The main reason that most long arm kits ride better isn't so much due to the length of the arms. It is more to do with the fact that the arms are closer to horizontal. This is also why the 8" Rize kit rides better than most of the 6" short arm kits.

· Registered
328 Posts
Ride quality is all about the coil spring rate and shocks, even the amount of air in the tires plays a part.

I spoke with a Ram owner who went from a Revtek to a BDS long arm kit and he told me the BDS did not have as nice of a ride as the Revtek.

· Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Radius arms on my truck played a huge roll in the way my truck road and that was just on a 5.5" lift, I can feel my truck go down the road super smooth, it sometimes responds like a cadillac. Sure my valving played roll in it, but the arm angle is in perfect plane with the frame and it acts alot better when hitting a bump the axle is not wanting to fight and go backwards towards the fenders,like a short arm would.

It seams the radius arms create more leverage through the suspension cycle.

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Devil Dog,
You are mostly correct there. But without reasonable geometry it will still ride like crap. As the lift height increases so does the angle of the control arms. As the angle increases more of the bumps and impacts are transfered to the frame in an upward motion. Plus now when the axle tries to move upward it also moves alot more forward which forces the tires more into the bump. In this extreme condition it can also have a larger affect on castor and depending on bumpstops it can put the axle into the trac bar drop bracket. This is assuming that the tires don't end up hitting the front bumper first.

· Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the input everyone.
I was surfing the web last night and saw an 05 with 6" lift and 37X12.5 a/t's and he said at full lock he was getting a rub on the control arms. I thought with stock wheels I would be OK. Also, is it true that M/T's will wear alot faster than A/T's

· Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I would consider the ProComp long arm. It doesn't require that you cut off any of the factory mounts and it comes with a replacement track bar.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
thanks for the input everyone.
I was surfing the web last night and saw an 05 with 6" lift and 37X12.5 a/t's and he said at full lock he was getting a rub on the control arms. I thought with stock wheels I would be OK. Also, is it true that M/T's will wear alot faster than A/T's

I think the factory wheels are the problem, that's why H2's are so popular, a little less backspacing without having the tires stick out 3" like some of the after market wheels.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
I only have spacers to level my truck but my 35's are VERY close to the fenders and rub my mudflaps when I turn, I wish my control arms were abot ½" longer.

· Registered
537 Posts
Some nice new control arms from Thuren will do ya right Fisherguy :headbang:

· Registered
590 Posts
Man talked to The Guys at Procomp Today I was calling to ask about the New Long arm Kit and Fox Shocks.. They say it has the best ride and that Fox Went out and Re-valved the new shocks for there Kit and For the Weight of the "C" in the front.. I Hear its a Great Kit..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.