Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please help me figure out this date code , I do understand about the julian calendar

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Looks like May 9, 2021 if I understand it correctly.

22 is the year +1 so 2021. 237 is the day counting down, 365 -237=128. 128th day of 2021 is May 9th.

Clear as mud right? Why they can't be like the Wal Mart brand and just but the darn date on it I'll never know....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited by Moderator)

22 is the year +1 so 2021. 237 is the day counting down, 365 -237=128. 128th day of 2021 is May 9th.

Clear as mud right? Why they can't be like the Wal Mart brand and just but the darn date on it I'll never know....
Ya thats kinda what I got out of it , thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts

I learned something.

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,809 Posts
Can anyone please help me figure out this date code. . .
Just as a side note, there are options. . .

Considering how problematic these vehicles are (particularly in their stock form due to the EPA requirements) coupled with the fact that FCA is world renown for denying their own warranty, and that the dealer service department is, well <gulp> the dealer service department. :rolleyes:
One way to protect yourself in a court of law (which unfortunately is the only way to get FCA to actually honor the warranty) is to use Mopar DEF.

On the brutally overpriced Mopar 2.5 gallon jugs you will have...
  • The LOT number, (factory & shift that produced it) clearly printed.
  • The freshness or 'best used by' date is clearly printed.
  • The date of manufacture is clearly printed,
Additionally, when purchased at the dealership you get a receipt with the details of the transaction and you are also in their computer system.

In addition to that it might not be a bad idea to document the DEF details in your vehicle's service & inspection log.

This way when the truck craps the bed and gets towed to a dealership and they promptly deny your warranty without so much as a minor discussion, you'll have the ammo you'll need so your lawyer can put together a case for you.

Actually, you'll need to have all the maintenance & service records for the vehicle since you took delivery at the dealership if you expect to have a chance in court, but just saying, at least record the DEF issues.

Glad I could help,
Good luck & Happy motoring! 🥰

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,809 Posts
What if I slip a few receipts for distilled water in there?
The interesting part is...
On the pre 2017's a 50/50 mix of DEF and distilled water will lessen his chances of a visit to the service department. (y)
Just saying.

·
White Lightning
13,598 Posts
No dumbassssss date code deciphering required.........

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
10,195 Posts
Yeah, and anyone saying you have to use platinum DEF would probably also say you need to run additives or your engine will suffer from it within 50k miles or less in multiple ways

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If the Ram dealership sold Cummins approved fuel at their facility, it would be 9 bucks a gallon, be dispensed into the DEF tank by mistake, be overfilled and overflowing, would need to be filled by dealership technicians, and would immediately void warranty because the six hundred dollar fuel filter job they did days previous was suspect for a fuel leak, which they caused, and blamed you for because it left the facility fine, but fuel was found in the DEF tank.

• Haha
Reactions: WillyJ

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,809 Posts
Well fortunately for us @Drle ...
"They cannot deny a warranty claim if the DEF meets specs… which they all do.
So I'd say we're good. (y)

And besides, who wouldnt trust the service department wrenching on their new $80,000 truck?

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,809 Posts
Has anyone ever cleaned the DEF injector and did you use steam?
1.) Steam NO. Water, Yes.
Keeping the injector clean will save you an expensive trip to the dreaded dealership.

2.) Remove the injector. Then soak & flush with distilled water. Distilled water is cheap and available by the gallon at most food stores.

·
White Lightning
13,598 Posts
3.) Or simply use the truck for its intended purpose; no cleaning of DEF injector required.
Fixed it for ya above....

Through 341,914 miles, my DEF injector has cycled 851.54 gallons of DEF....all without cleaning it.

·
P2609 Fanatic
3,809 Posts
Through 341,914 miles, my DEF injector has cycled 851.54 gallons of DEF....all without cleaning it.
Yeah but you have a "work truck" while many of the rest of us simply have a $70,000 lawn ornament. ;)

·
Registered
19,524 Posts
Speaking of the cleansing power of distilled water.
Decided to experiment with some mixed into the DEF since nobody seems to be sure if it works on a '17.

Dumped two gallons into about 1/2 a tank (gauge just coming off full), so about 20%. Five miles down the road the EVIC said "Incorrect DEF, see dealer". Well, I was heading for a dealer anyway.

Stopped and filled the tank all the way up with DEF in town, about two gallons. Some five miles after that the Check Engine light came on. Another 50 or so and the EVIC started the 150-mile countdown to 5 mph.

Stopped at the last dealer for hundreds of miles to come, who got rid of the Check Engine light, but not the countdown.
At that point I had about 80 miles left, and all along very sparsely populated 2-laners. With only 300 something miles to the destination, after some encouraging words from Brockman, I kept going.

At zero miles left the EVIC informed me that long idling, shutting the engine off, or refueling, would result in the 5 mph penalty. And it did it with a "bing" every two miles or so. Made it to the dealer before closing time, where they basically reloaded the ECM, which cleared the light and message.

With the trailer loaded up I thought it would be a good idea to get fuel right away, in case the issued persisted, so I could make it home without having to stop. Filled the tanks and topped off the DEF, now for the third time.
Sure enough, five miles later the "Incorrect DEF" message came up again, and then the Check Engine light. And eventually the countdown, too.

No problem, as long as I didn't have to stop, or get a flat tire, or get pulled over for going a bit fast. Besides, by now I was so used to the binging and resetting the EVIC that it was more or less instinct.
Until realizing that with maybe 200 miles to go, the binging had stopped. Nothing showing in messages, either, but the Check Engine light was still on.

Yes, I apparently out-stubborned the system, and will check for codes with AlfaOBD tomorrow. Anyway, if you also decide to experiment with some distilled water, don't overdo it. Especially if you don't feel like driving over 400 miles without stopping.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts